How can I make most out my Graphics Card?

Pikachu 20:24 13 Jan 2004

Hi
I had a 9700 Pro but have recently upgraded to a 9800 XT but can't see much of a difference in the two cards. On Medal of Honor I got 100 fps and with the 9800 XT I get the same frame rate. Also in Call of Duty seems to give me about the same fps. What I would like to know is there a way to make the most out of the card? How can I get a better fps, as ive noticed that a lot of other people seem to get a better fps when they are running a 9600 Pro.

Thanks for all responses

hugh-265156 20:29 13 Jan 2004

anything over a steady 30fps or so your eyes will not even notice.any more fps than this and its just a brag factor thing.

keep your drivers up to date and just enjoy your games.

The games may have adjsuted into a higher resolution, of which i know call of duty does.

Look on click here which has many tweaks for all the graphics cards.

Also the futuremark forum's (click here) have many people that love to overclock their machine, (i should know a mate of mine live's there who took a 9700 to 9700 pro with ease!)

Pikachu 20:37 13 Jan 2004

Thanks for the responses guys - will look into the first link. I already benchmarked my mahcine using 3D Mark 03 and got a score of 7000 but its just that when playing Call Of Duty and Medal of Honor ive noticed people with a mid-budget card get good frame rates so I thought I shoudl expect a higher fps to what im getting. Just a learning experience as I want to see what my card can do :D

Mysticnas 20:58 13 Jan 2004

You're new graphics card is 1 of the 2 top consumer graphics cards; the other being GF FX5950. However, both of these cards off only slightly improved performance over their predecessors.

However, something you could try, it upping the detail levels, you should be able to put all detail and settings to full and still get a fairly decent/playabe FPS rate.

Pikachu 21:06 13 Jan 2004

I guess you mean upping the details within the game? As I put most of the settings within teh game to its highest and its running at 1280 x 1024.

BeForU 21:44 13 Jan 2004

I think it is because you run at 1280 x 1024, that is why your FPS isnt as high as you hoped it would be. Try the 1024 x 768 resolution and see what that does. Seeing as you had a 9700 Pro before, must say unless you had the money for it which you most probably did, there wasnt any point upgrading to the 9800 XT. Have you checked to see if your Anti-Aliasing & Anisotropic is on as well. Try turning them off as although they give good image quality, it can really degraded performance levels.

DieSse 22:05 13 Jan 2004

Putting in a faster graphics card will make no difference if the performance of the game is limited by the speed of the rest of your system.

A look at graphic card performance tests on Toms Hardware will show you this effect. Especially in games which give good frame rates on budget cards, then this effect will happen - if the game gets to run as fast as it possibly can, then better graphics performance has no effect.

SpyMan²°°­­³ {:o)){--< 22:27 13 Jan 2004

For starters...have you installed DirectX 9?

i know for a fact that unless you type a command line in the medal of honor 'console' telling it that you want to increase the maximum fps.....it will stay at under 100.

In console type "com_maxfps 9999" without the speech marks...then press enter, then type "vid_restart" and then press enter again

tell me how you get on

p.s I play medal of honor all the time....look out for |-SOE-| SpyMan on objective - realism

Pikachu 13:52 14 Jan 2004

Thanks for all the responses. Typed in the commands by Spyman and it has increased the frames to 290 :D

Pikachu 13:54 14 Jan 2004

Can't see much of a difference though :(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?