How can I increase wireless Connection Speed.

prince midas 11:08 13 Jan 2009

I am running a Siemens Router in my Lounge connected to a wall BT socket.
My Desktop is in the office about 20 ft away.
My Laptop can get a sgnal anywhere no problem
My Desktop as been fitted with Belkin USB adaptor.
The problem with my Desktop is that I keep getting a message saying move it nearer to the
router which is impossible.
My USB adaptor is a G which allows me up to
54 mbps which stuggles.
Could I get a better signal by upgrading my router or Belkin USB adaptor or both?
Would any software designed for extra speed help?

MAT ALAN 11:54 13 Jan 2009

click here

some good info here,it may help...

Technotiger 12:38 13 Jan 2009

The BT HomeHub, mentioned in MAT ALAN's link is now N (802.11n) capable with the introduction of Version 2 of the HomeHub.

In fact I am having a Version 2 Hub being delivered tomorrow, Free of Charge to upgrade from my Version 1.5 HomeHub - and I only enquired about it today, by phone!

prince midas 13:53 13 Jan 2009

Thanks for both your advice,unfortunately I am with Tiscali so cannot get a BT Hub.

oldbeefer2 14:08 13 Jan 2009

Rather than a plug-in adaptor, you may do better with one on the end of a lead. I have one and have found that the signal strenth varies considerably depending on the height and orientation of the gizmo on the end.

MAJ 14:16 13 Jan 2009

If you're using one of these click here prince midas, then throw it in the bin. I have one and unless it's sitting on top of the router it keeps dropping the signal ( a little exageration never hurt anyone). Seriously though, it's the worst USB wireless adapter I have ever owned. By your self a Netgear model, they're much better.

MAJ 14:16 13 Jan 2009

......Buy yourself a Netgear model, they're much better.

3gboosterman 16:48 13 Jan 2009

Hello Prince Midas,
If you are interested, I sell 2.4mhz WLAN booster kits and high gain router access point antenna upgrades from the standard little ones you get on the back of your routers.

If anyones interested, phone me on 07770 638 668 up to midnight everyday, and feel free to have a no obligations to buy chat to see whats the best and cost effective method for you.

Cheers.

Jeff

3gboosterman 16:56 13 Jan 2009

Oh, other things for you to try.
Have you tried connecting a cable from your router to your Desktop PC? If you do, keep it as short as possible.

Maybe try positioning your router higher up? or move it a bit closer to your desktop?
I say this because you say your laptop can pick up the signal no problem.

Have you set a password for your router? if too many people are using your line, it may slow things down.

Good Luck

Pineman100 17:54 13 Jan 2009

As others have suggested, improving the signal of your wireless network could solve your problem.

But if it doesn't, then you don't necessarily need a BT Home Hub to use the latest draft N wireless protocol, which is much faster and has a better range.

click here

You would, of course, have to change your adaptor for an N as well.

jegMAN 19:45 13 Jan 2009

Hi -slightly off topic from the original request for help, but along the same lines. I am thinking of wireless enabling my Desktop PC - butI am not keen on a USB wireless dongle (had one before on a PC and it used to overheat), what's a better more 'built-in solution? My router is a Sky Netgear one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires