How can I get rid of dialler???

cplug6919c 20:55 14 Jun 2004

For the last 3 days, every time I log on thru AOL, within 2 minutes I get a dialler pop into the system tray and am icon on the desktop, right clicking in the tray and choosing 'Uninstall' gets rid of it but within 5 minutes it's back again. It's called "HOT XXX" I've run AVG, Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy but none of them seem to pick up on it. Any ideas please??
I've just had it pop up twice while Ive been typing this! I've only got AOL running, no MSN or anything else. Using Win ME.

Fruit Bat 21:21 14 Jun 2004

switch off system restore (loses all restore points) (it could be hiding in one of these)

run spyware progs do they find it?

switch system retore back on a create a restore point

cplug6919c 21:26 14 Jun 2004

Done all that, even as I'm typing this..... I've just got another little bu**er come down, they haven't auto run yet, but I'm worried it might. If you right click it in the system tray, you get the options of Exit, Uninstall, Connect or Close menu. I keep going for Uninstall, but within a few minutes, it's back!

Fruit Bat 21:34 14 Jun 2004

Indivual virus removers:_
Stinger click here
Microworld click here

Trend Online Check click here

Try one of these

THE TERMINATOR 22:57 14 Jun 2004

have you tried looking in add\remove programs for any installed nasties, wether or not you think it relates to HOT XXX

cplug6919c 14:00 15 Jun 2004

Terminator:... yes, got rid of all the nasties I could find. Even now with Stinger and Spybot AND Spyware Blaster installed, they are still getting thru, looks like I'm gonna have to do a format. But is it something already on the drive or could it be a hacker?? If its a hacker could I still get the same problem after I re-install???

kaled 21:37 16 Jun 2004

How about running CW shredder from Merijn.org.

Muslimat79 22:14 16 Jun 2004

As this had happened to me and I've tried all the programs you mentioned but this useless HOT XXX kept coming, I got PestPatrol CE 4, believe it or not with the update it wiped out all this and others that I never suspected were in my system.

Try and get PestPatrol CE 4.

SANTOS7 23:16 16 Jun 2004

as your problem keeps coming back it has probably entered a key in your registry type HOT xxx into this click here and scan for it you may need to scan more than once, its a good tool i use it often it will be safe to delete any threads you may find including the words hot xxx, good luck

THE TERMINATOR 23:53 16 Jun 2004

do you have a firewall? If not ZONE ALARM is freeclick here and get rid of your problem....TT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?