How can I get digital TV on my PC?

simon_lambert 13:35 17 Apr 2007

Is there any good hardware that I can use to get DTV on my PC? Is it possible to get DTV without using a proper ariel input? Thanks

Technotiger 13:41 17 Apr 2007

Hi, yes, best way is to get a usb DVB/TV stick. Approx £23 from Amazon.

Technotiger 13:42 17 Apr 2007

PS, I have the Freecom as seen here ..

click here

Stuartli 15:02 17 Apr 2007

You need a decent signal, preferably from an outdoor wideband aerial (you could split your current TV aerial input and feed the PC via an amplifier and coaxial cable).

However, there are one or two portable aerials that just might be good enough. See:

click here

A Freeview PCI TV card is better overall than a USB stick, but if the latter gets a good signal then there should be little difference.

umm (a.nonymous) 17:13 17 Apr 2007

There are a few ways of getting it. (Sky TV online, online tv service...) But I think the easest (sorry my spelling is rubbish) way to get it is by a USB dongle. You will get all the freeview channels plus the interactive stuff. Plus if you have a decent sized hard drive you can record it to your pc. The only downside (as stuartli said) is that you need a decent signal. You can also get TV cards for your pc and these are helpful because on some of them you can plug in your rooftop ariel and use that.

Hope this helps

Technotiger 17:16 17 Apr 2007

Hi, s roof-top aerial can also be used with the USB Digital TV Stick - I have coax coming from a coax splitter on the back of my main TV. Reception, pic & sound is excellent on my PC.

umm (a.nonymous) 17:18 17 Apr 2007

Sorry I didnt know that! Do you get the interactive (red button) stuff on pc?

Technotiger 17:32 17 Apr 2007

No, no red-interactive, but just about everything else - Favourites/Time-shift/Electronic Prog Guide/Teletext/Multi-preview/Record/View in a Window or Full screen/Grab Images, to name a few :-))

Stuartli 17:48 17 Apr 2007

A Freeview PCI or USB stick (a coaxial socket is usually hidden in the aerial itself) should come with fully featured PVR software.

However, you can acquire such software on the Net if necessary.

pj123 18:03 17 Apr 2007

I am still at a loss to understand why anyone would want to watch TV on their PC.

I certainly don't, as I have a perfectly good TV set in my lounge, but as most of the stuff on TV is rubbish, I don't watch it anyway.

Stuartli 19:41 17 Apr 2007

>>I am still at a loss to understand why anyone would want to watch TV on their PC.>>

Many reasons. One is that you can listen to radio or watch Sky News etc with a smaller display fitting into the top right hand corner of the screen whilst using the system; secondly, it prevents conflict with the other half about what to watch on the main back room TV and, thirdly, I can watch both Champion League matches on ITV on Tuesday nights when they are on...:-)

There are several others, but minor ones in the general mix.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone