How Can I Format This Hard Drive?

s99Raj 11:46 28 Jun 2007

I have an 80GB IDE hard drive I know is OK because I've been using it as a slave for some time.

Now I wanted to use it as a master in another computer and load XP on it. Everything was going fine with the formatting (not the quick version but the longer) unitil at about 20% I accidentally pulled the power cord out; and now it won't format.

I've tried setting it as a slave on a working computer and tried to format it, but it simply won't. Even under Disk Management I get the message "The format did not complete successfully".

Any further ideas on how to format it please?

ArrGee 12:04 28 Jun 2007

Try this:

click here

Eric10 12:11 28 Jun 2007

ArGee's solution should work or you could try to delete the partition during XP's setup then recreate it and format.
Another alternative would be the disk tools from your hard drive manufacturer's website.

s99Raj 12:15 28 Jun 2007

I'll try ArrGee's solution first.

Then I'll look at Seagate's website for possible solutions if that doesn't work.

Thanks.

Totally-braindead 14:57 28 Jun 2007

Since you mention its a Seagate then download Seatools and it should help you out.

Press Man 15:12 28 Jun 2007

click here download the bootable dos disk. Do read the details and instructions how to use first, the programme will wipe all data.

pj123 17:55 28 Jun 2007

As Seagate and Maxtor are the same you may find it better to download Maxblast 5. I have just set up two Seagate drives for a friend using Maxblast 5.

click here

Download it and then burn it to a CD. Set your BIOS to boot from CD Rom first. Put the CD in and boot your PC. Follow the prompts.

If the link doesn't work type maxblast 5 into Google.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017