How can I buy a Windows Vista COA?

kjrider 19:46 01 Jul 2011

I have been restoring my friends PC, and putting in a new hard drive.

Trying the COA on the case doesn;t do it. Tried phoning up but after a lengthy session it didn't work.

It tells me to contact Microsoft to buy a new COA, but comes uo with 'page not found.'

He wnats Vista, as he has a lot of programs for it.

Any ideas?

KJR

lotvic 20:09 01 Jul 2011

If there is a COA on the case for Vista, in what way does it not 'do it'?

also "Tried phoning up but after a lengthy session it didn't work" could do with more explanation.

The only way to get a fresh COA is to buy Vista Op Sys. If the COA key on the case is for Vista there is no reason that it will not 'do'

Are you sure you entered it correctly, it is easy to mistake a 0 for an O and B for 8

Perhaps it would help if you gave us a more detailed description of the problems encountered.

woodchip 21:11 01 Jul 2011

Last time I was in Makro Warehouse Sheffield they was selling Vista OS CD cheap.

If there is one near you and you can get somebody top get you in, it may be worth a look

rdave13 21:23 01 Jul 2011

You can buy secondhand fromAmazon.

Puzzles me why the sticker licence does not work. Someone here suggested when you contact Microsoft to ignore the options and wait until a person answers.

birdface 21:26 01 Jul 2011

If you have the Coa sticker on the computer with the keycode on it you should be able to borrow a disc from someone and download it using that Keycode.

Whatever version of Windows is on the Coa sticker that is the only one you can use.

You may have to phone Microsoft and tell them you had to put a new hard drive in as the other one was faulty.

onthelimit1 21:36 01 Jul 2011

May be OEM, which can cause problems when re-installing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?