How is BT TV delivered?

Pineman100 18:36 16 Dec 2010

I'm considering switching to a broadband/phone/TV package deal from BT.

I'm sure a lot of people will have their own opinions about this provider, but I'm not seeking those. The information I'm after concerns their TV service.

How is BT TV delivered? Does it come off-air through a conventional TV antenna, or is it delivered over the internet? If it's the latter, do you think I will get an acceptable service over my (approximate and variable) 2Mb connection?

MAT ALAN 18:46 16 Dec 2010

click here

click here

FAQs in second link....

Pineman100 19:02 16 Dec 2010

I haven't found a definitive explanation of how the service works, but I infer from various bits of information that their ordinary TV broadcasts are simply Freeview transmissions, while the their BT Vision on-demand service comes over the internet.

Do you think that's correct?

In their FAQ's they state that a minimum download speed of 2Mb is required. I reckon that makes the whole thing a bit borderline for me.

MAT ALAN 19:20 16 Dec 2010

Here's how BT Vision works:

* The BT Vision set-top box plugs into your TV
* You plug a TV aerial into your BT Vision set-top box. The box is able to tune in to Freeview TV and radio channels, and uses these to let you watch and record live digital TV
* The BT Vision+ box has a hard-disk built-in that lets you record live TV to be watched later. You can also pause and rewind live TV
* The BT Vision set-top box is connected to the Internet via the BT Home Hub. Once connected to the Internet, you can use the remote control to access "on demand" films, TV shows, kid's telly, music videos and sporting events. You can pay per-view, or subscribe to viewing "packages.

The BT Vision "on demand" service uses the Internet to get programmes that aren't being broadcast live - think of it as a rental service, where you get TV shows and movies over the Internet delivered to your telly when you want them.

FRANKMAC 21:44 16 Dec 2010

Your are correct in what you say in your second post, normal TV via your ariel, and any BT on demand is via you internet connection. Your normal digital TV will be exactly the same as you have now, witht he same reception quality.

Ref you connection speeds, my connection ranges between 2 and 3 MB, i've never had a problem yet, streaming on demand programs. If however you wish to watch a HD film a connection of this speed is inadequate, but what the BT Vision box does is to download the whole film / program first, then you can watch it without nay problems.

HTH Mac

Snrub 01:45 17 Dec 2010

* The BT Vision+ box has a hard-disk built-in that lets you record live TV to be watched later.

Does anyone now a way of transferring the saved 'recorded' programmes from the BT Vision Hard Drive to a computer hard drive? My BT Vision Hard Drive is now full of programmes I do not want to delete.

dms_05 08:38 17 Dec 2010

But how do people watch Sky Sports on BT? These are live transmissions - are they via encrypted channels on Freeview where Sky broadcast via TopUp TV? Or are they genuine IPTV and broadcast as streams over the Internet? It seems a very messy system.

Pineman100 12:05 17 Dec 2010

...for confirming the way that BT Vision works. I think my best plan is to run a series of download speed tests and then discuss them with BT, before I consider signing up to their package deal.

At least I shall now have an idea what I'm talking about!

Many thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?