how to boot from external fdd or cdrom

rsturbo 12:09 20 Sep 2003

i have bought s/hand sony c1 laptop with no cdrom or fdd i need to boot from ext cdrom or fdd to load the operating system how do i do this (obviously after i have sourced cdrom or fdd or both if needed). the c1 has pcmcia and usb ports built into it

thanks for any help

DieSse 12:12 20 Sep 2003

You need to go into the BIOS and set the first boot device to whatever external device you choose (check in the BIOS first to see what the possibilities are).

TINOW (There is no other way)

rsturbo 12:35 20 Sep 2003

stupid question - should i go and buy a pcmcia cdrom or usb - or can't i tell until i connect the device (which is what i think you are saying)

Mango Grummit 21:41 20 Sep 2003

rsturbo, word of warning .. you cannot boot from ANY USB device.

M

powerless 21:43 20 Sep 2003

Umm...Recent BIOS's you can.

Switcher 22:00 20 Sep 2003

Take the Laptop HDD out

Use an adaptor (Maplins have them £4-99) to connect Laptop HDD to PC IDE

Install operating sys using Ghost or such like

Refit HDD to Laptop.

DieSse 22:27 20 Sep 2003

(which is what i think you are saying)

No - I was saying what I said - look in the BIOS first, to see what you can define as a boot device - before you buy one.

Mango Grummit 22:30 20 Sep 2003

Despite what you may hear to the contrary:

It is not possible to boot to any Windows operating systems from any USB external drive unit. The only bootable devices that can be configured from the BIOS are SCSI, IDE, Floppy or CD-ROM.

USB is "plug and play" which really means you plug it into windows and windows will let it play. USB port drivers do not load until windows does.

Think of it as Windows being the host and USB the guest who has no control or say in the order or the scheme of things.

Regards,

M

rsturbo 22:32 20 Sep 2003

Doh! read it thoroughly before you comment (was something my english lit. teacher was always saying to me) now i know why. will look in it now

rsturbo 22:47 20 Sep 2003

atapi cdrom drive, diskette drive, hard drive. now with the ports as mentioned earlier in this post; how to i install the operating system with the recovery cd's i have for the laptop

thanks for the posts so far

powerless 22:55 20 Sep 2003

You can boot from USB... click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone