How to boot from DVD drive?

Rodders 18:11 13 Nov 2010

Hi
I've an old PC which is currently running WinME. It hasn't been used for years so I want to format the HDD and start afresh. Except I'm going to put Ubuntu on as an experiment.

Anyway, I've got the Ubuntu installation image burned to a DVD but my machine doesn't try to use the DVD drive to boot up.

I ventured into the BIOS and found the correct place to change the settings, but there's no option for booting from DVD. Well, none that seem obvious. The options I have are CD-ROM, HDD1, HDD2, SCSI, LAN and a few others.

The machine does have a CD drive, but I don't think the ISO will fit on a CD.

So, what do I do? Is it simply a case of swapping the drives around on the mobo so that the DVD drive is on the bootable port?

961 18:17 13 Nov 2010

set the BIOS to boot cd rom first and try that

If the optical drive will play dvd s that should work

If not I think the old pc is probably not going to play ball

GaT7 18:30 13 Nov 2010

When it comes to the BIOS, CD-Rom = DVD-Rom = DVD-Rw = Blu-Ray = basically any optical drive.

The Ubuntu ISO download is under 700Mb is designed to fit on a standard blank 700Mb CD, so something to note for the future. G

Rodders 19:40 13 Nov 2010

Thanks folks.
I put the ISO onto a CD instead and tried that. It seemed to be working until it encountered an error. I guess the experiment has shown that the machine isn't going to easily allow Ubuntu to install.
Ah well.

GaT7 19:55 13 Nov 2010

There could be an error with the download or the disc you created.

First, you need to check the 'file hash' to determine if the download isn't corrupted.

Then, to minimise errors during burning, you need to do it at a very slow, say at 2x speed while not using the PC for anything else.

Finally, you need to use your disc-writing software to 'verify' the burn once it completes. There usually is a setting in the software to do this automatically on burn completion.

I learnt the hard way a few years ago, but Last Chip helped me out - see click here. G

Strawballs 20:33 13 Nov 2010

What version of Ubuntu are you using?

Rodders 22:07 16 Nov 2010

Thanks for the responses with suggestions to help with Ubuntu installation. I'll start another thread so it can be found more easily and that the title is relevant to the content.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone