how best to use two hdd

polish 16:04 31 Jan 2010

i have recently bought another hdd 320g mainly for back up the original is 160g in the future i will be either formatting and reinstalling vista or upgrading to windows 7 i was wondering if there was a particular way of using to hdd as a side note is worth upgrading to 7 or would i see no real difference

Pineman100 16:13 31 Jan 2010

At the time you reinstall your OS (whichever), it might be worth fitting the new 320GB into the computer as your main C drive. That will give you greater capacity for your programs and data files, with fastest access.

You could then use the old 160Gb as a backup drive. You could either install it as a slave inside the computer, or buy a caddy and use it as an external USB drive.

Strawballs 16:14 31 Jan 2010

I would install as slave drive transfer anything that you want to keep to it then format the C drive and install Win 7 (a vast improvement over Vista)

DieSse 20:20 31 Jan 2010

I would swap the drives over - then use the old one in an external caddy, for backups.

IMO everyone should have an external drive as a backup drive.

polish 22:08 31 Jan 2010

thanks for advice as always

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?