how best to keep pc cool ?

winstonwolf 13:51 04 May 2004

Hi , i currently have 2 hard drives , [email protected] & 1 @60gb both 5400rpm 100udma , i am going to install a 160gb 7250 100udma hitachi drive aswell and am concerned about overheating. Looking online at case fans and such i was surprised at all the differnet sizes and types of fan. Could anyone guide me as to which type of fan i will need. my case is a 300w atx if that makes a diference , thanks .

poogles_uk 14:53 04 May 2004

Take off the side of the case and install a mini fridge to the side with the door open or an Air conditioner unit.

Stuartli 15:06 04 May 2004

You should fit a front case fan pulling air into the case (the air flow direction is marked, normally, on the fan) and ensure that the rear fan, probably that of the PSU, is emitting the air from the case.

Also maximise air flow through the case by carefully moving cables and tying them up out of the way if necessary.

There are also HDD coolers available.

Simon_P 17:36 04 May 2004

have two fans, this helps.
Using round drive cables helps to improve air flow
having a front fan (low) to suck air in and a rear fan (High) to blow air out will help lots, the reason for low and high fans is that it creates a diagonal flow.

Case fans are 12 v 120mm normally, have different pitch and airflow, some are noisy.

You may need a more powerful PSU depending on what you already running. If you do get one with two fans.
click here

Simon_P 17:45 04 May 2004

ment 80mm not 120mm

Have a look at this too click here

winstonwolf 18:58 04 May 2004

cheers guys i'll look into those options and thanks for the link simon for the wattage estimation , very useful

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?