How to begin programming

Nick Name no Name 22:12 30 Apr 2003

Dear Forum Members

I am very interested in begining computer programming, (preferably for free).
Can anyone suggest a suitable easy to learn program which will run on Windows98 ?

I would be very grateful for any advice

Nickname No Name

LastChip 23:19 30 Apr 2003

First; Java is free from Sun Micro-systems click here but be warned, this is generally regarded as one of the more difficult languages to learn.

Second; Pascal click here which I know next to nothing about, but from what I have heard, is much easier than Java.

The most popular, C, C+, C++, Visual Basic, etc, as far as I know, are all compilers that you have to purchase.

If Taran reads this, he will no doubt be able to give you better advice than me, but in the meantime, do a search here at PCA, because there are previous threads on this very subject.

VoG™ 00:01 01 May 2003

As LastChip says, Visual Basic - not free.

If you have Microsoft Office you have access (no pun intended) to Visual Basic for Applications - basically a cut-down version of Visual Basic - which you can use to manipulate things in Word, Excel and so on.

My personal favourite is Fortran - the Model T of programming languages. That's how I learnt how to program.

You could also try the variants of C although, personally, I found them rather difficult.

I would recommend that you try to get on a course. It is relatively easy to program on one language once you know another but starting out can be quite difficult.

As said above, wait for a response from Taran.

davidg_richmond 01:40 01 May 2003

pascal is nice and easy, but most newcomers find basic the easiest to learn. you will have to pay for it though. check all the magazine covers for a month or two - there are often free development programs on the cover cds (i got Borland's Delphi pascal builder this way).

you will also find lots of free forums on the net that help with programming problems in various languages (ie pascal, C, etc not French and German!). if you can afford as little as £30 you should be able to find a book such as 'Sam's Teach Yourself xxx in xx days' with a cd included.

programming is something that brings out a little creativity and also flexes the part of the brain that solves puzzles, a fun hobby. good luck!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?