How to back up programs

suky53 15:20 12 Mar 2006

Hi Could any-one help please I am using Nero 6 burning Program and I want a step by step guide on how to take some games of my computer to put onto my son's as I have tried and it don't seem to work properly I get read only documents or they won't install only run of disc which is not what I want. I am running on XP Home and my Son's computer is running on XP Professional if this makes any difference.

Thankyou

Jackcoms 15:46 12 Mar 2006

You cannot transfer programs from one PC to another.

You will need the original source .exe file (be it on CD or from a download, etc) to load a program onto your son's PC.

suky53 15:51 12 Mar 2006

Thankyou I understand that part but I have disc's from other people which they have copied of their computer's and put them in mine and they have worked why is that.

pj123 17:09 12 Mar 2006

The "other people" that you have been given disks from may have just copied the original CDs which is illegal.

Belatucadrus 17:11 12 Mar 2006

Chances are they had a copy of the installation.exe that they copied to the disk. Most programs make changes to the registry during installation, simply copying the contents of Program files isn't going to replicate this and without them the program isn't going to work.
Just to be awkward, some programs don't actually install and can run as stand alone applications from a folder. But these are in the minority.

terryf 17:12 12 Mar 2006

You may think that they have copied progs but they have probably copied the setup files otherwise known as the install files and given them to you. It is no good just copying files from your 'Program Files' folder because installation puts entries into your registry, maybe copies files into your windows folder, into certain folders in Documents and settings, etc. Hope this clarifies things. If you have an original CD for a program, put it into your drive, hold down the shift key (to prevent it re-installing) and examine the files on there with explorer, you will probably see a file called setup or setup.exe that starts the installation.

terryf 17:13 12 Mar 2006

Sorry Belatucadrus Great minds think alike

ade.h 19:27 12 Mar 2006

And similar to pj's example, if you intend to install a game or other licensed software on more than one PC, that would also be illegal. The only exceptions to that are 1) free software 2) open source software 3) MS Office if installed on a desktop and laptop 4) multi-user licenses for business environments.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?