How to back up my itunes to my external drive???

julius44 10:08 27 Aug 2007

Hello, i've purchased a seagate 320Gb external and I wish to backup all my itunes songs to my external drive, but I have no idea HOW to do this. I'd appreciate some advice, thanks

iscanut 11:58 27 Aug 2007

If you look in My Docs and then in the My Music folder, you should see a folder ITunes. This should contain all your music files, ITunes data files and also Album artwork if you have any. Copy this folder across to your external drive. Drag and drop but make sure you COPY rather than MOVE !

brundle 13:02 27 Aug 2007

Keep the .xml files you find there too, they contain your song ratings etc.

julius44 15:21 27 Aug 2007

okay i've copied across the itunes data files across from my c drive to my external drive,...........so is that it??.........the one that i copied across is called itunes library.itl. But there are also other folders such as previous itnes libraries....and itunes music librbary xml which i have NOT moved to the external drive............should i copy these over as well??? pls let me know?? thanks

bremner 16:50 27 Aug 2007

Have you copied the sub folder called iTunes Music - because that is the one that will have all your songs in - if you accepted the defaults on installation.

iscanut 17:29 27 Aug 2007

As I and bremner have said, the whole ITunes folder should be copied, including all files and sub folders within it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?