How am I actually connected to the internet

erkmatrix 09:56 19 Apr 2008

Right this to me is a little strange. I've recently bought a new router the Netgear DG834G 54Mbps and want to connect two desktop (Windows XP both)with ethernet connections and one lap top (Windows Vista) using it wireless adapter. Well myt main machine I started first and got up and running used the highest security WPA2-PSK with a passphrase, worked very easily, so went and set up the laptop and all worked ok when I figured out a through things then I found the netgear network, entered the passphrase and up and really fast, I was pleased. Now the other desktop and this is the strange one. At first I disabled my wireless pci card as wanted to go ethernet connection so I enabled my built in NVIDIA networking card and it seem to just go straight onto the net. How can this be though, there was no finding the available network, my netgear one and putting in my passphrase, its just on the net like that. I have no way of checking if I'm on the netgear network as I can't see the option find available networks
It doesn't tell me anywhere how I'm connected to the internet. On my old router Bt Voyager 2100 it had a icon in taskbar telling me about my connection and loads of other options like disconnected and seeing the status of my connection. But now I can't see anything. Can anyone explain how I find out if I'm connected to my new netgear network. My old bt voyager is completly not connected and router unplugged so I'm not on that one

cheers

setecio 10:05 19 Apr 2008

You're connected via the network card which jut automatically finds and connects to the network / internet .... with wireless there could be many networks available ... with ethernet you have to manually plug in a cable and only 1 is possible. No point in having to select 1 of 1 possible and connect.

cream. 10:09 19 Apr 2008

'highest security WPA2-PSK with a passphrase'

That is just for wireless. You don't need it for a lan connection. It just plugs in and goes.

erkmatrix 10:21 19 Apr 2008

Right great one, sorry me being thick, yeah that makes sense, having the passphrase for wireless only.

Cheers guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?