How to access internet without AOL software

Angry Kid 23:06 05 Sep 2010

I am helping a friend to tidy up his desktop pc and his laptop. He is running XP Home Edition on the desktop and Vista on his laptop.

The router that he has is a Netgear DG 834G.

Is anyone able to help with connecting to the internet without using the AOL software.

Thanks as always.

Angry ;_0

MAJ 23:28 05 Sep 2010

Install Firefox on both computers.

If the Netgear router hasn't yet been set up, on the Desktop insert the CD and restart. Follow the onscreen instructions to set up the router which will require you to attach the router, via an [usually supplied] ethernet cable, to the Desktop. When the CD completes you should be able to connect to the internet. Close the AOL browser and use Firefox instead. You can then, at any stage, enable the wireless option on the router(if it already hasn't been) and the laptop, if it is a wireless enabled laptop (most are nowadays), should detect the wireless signal from the router and ask you if you want to connect. Choose the option to connect and you will be asked to enter a network key (usually printed somewhere on the router), enter the wireless key, confirm the key and click Connect. Now open Firefox and you should be able to browse the internet.
Let us know if you get that far.

accordion 07:26 06 Sep 2010

You don't have to install Firefox (although it's a good idea to use it), you can use any browser instead of the AOL one. Internet Explorer, Opera, Chrome etc, they will all do what you want.

Dave

gengiscant 11:18 06 Sep 2010

All thats needed is to input the AOL user name and password into the router and you are good to go.
I used that model router when I was with AOL. I loathed the bloated software that AOL tried to foist on me.
Certainly not needed and you can use whatever search engine you want.
If an AOL email address is still used then it is just a simple matter of going here click here and logging in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017