How 2 stop my road connecting to my wireless netwo

Naz62 00:31 22 Aug 2006

I have a wireless connection in my house and people from outside the house can connect to the network. Neighbours from 7 doors away can connect to the internet using my connection. I even caught a bloke parked across the street using the internet off my connection.

How can I stop them? I would like to stop anybody/any computer other than the one I use to connect to my wireless network. Can anybody help?

Strawballs 00:59 22 Aug 2006

What router have you got?

Strawballs 01:06 22 Aug 2006

click here try looking here there should be something to help

Naz62 01:23 22 Aug 2006

I have a belkin54g.

Naz62 01:28 22 Aug 2006

The site is a bit confusing for me, i don't mean to be a pain but can you explain the process to me. I type in the numbers in the address bar and the page can not be found.

I don't know much about computers.

FelixTCat 08:54 22 Aug 2006

Naz62

Having people steal your bandwidth is a real problem, but there are easy solutions. You will have to protect your wireless network.

There are 4 stages:

1. Encrypt your wireless settings

2. Change your router's password

3. Change and hide your wireless SSID (network name)

4. Restrict the MAC addresses that can log on

Only do one stage at a time and make sure that everything works before moving on to the next. It is also easier to make the changes from a wired connection so that you can still access the router if the wireless goes wrong. You may have to refer to your router's instructions to find he details specific to your router.

1. In your router's setup you will find a facility to encrypt the wireless network. If you have a choice of WEP and WPA, use WPA with the Private Key setting. Choose and input a phrase that you will remember. WRITE IT DOWN FIRST. Put the same phrase in the WPA setting for your pc's wireless adapter(s). Check that you can still use the wireless network.

2. Now change the router's setup password and , if possible, the log-on name (NOT your ISP's adsl log-on and password. WRITE IT DOWN FIRST. This will stop any intruder accessing your router's set-up. Test that you can log in after the change.

3. Go to the router's wireless setup pages and change the wireless network SSID. WRITE IT DOWN FIRST. There is normally also an option to hide (not transmit) the SSID. If there is, tick that option. Now log on with your wireless pc. You will find your network but there will be no network name. Tell your software to join that network and, when it asks, enter the SSID manually. You may also have to re-enter the encryption key. Make sure that you can join the network.

4. Every network device has a discrete MAC number. It is either written on it, or you can find it by opening a cmd window (Start - Run - cmd) and typing ipconfig /all The MAC address is listed as the Physical Address and is in the format xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx where x can be a number or the letters A - F. Your router may have a facility for restricting the wireless adapters that can get IP addresses to those you list (mine is under Firewall as MAC Address Filtering). Enter the MAC addresses of ALL the adapters in your system - outsiders will not then be able to join your network.

As long as you do this carefully and stage by stage you will have no problems and will keep intruders out.

Regards,

Felix

beynac 14:38 22 Aug 2006

bookmarked

ade.h 16:19 22 Aug 2006

Which Belkin?

Naz62 00:40 23 Aug 2006

Thank you for your help FelixTCat but how do i access the router's setup to encrypt the data? Is the router's password changed within the router's setup?

Also I can't change the SSID name, how do I change it?

I'm sorry for sounding so daft.

FelixTCat 06:36 23 Aug 2006

Naz62,

Don't worry, we all had to start somewhere.

Do you have the instructions that came with the router - even the quick set-up set?

If so, find the page where it tells you the router's set-up address; it's probably 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.1.1

Type that number into your browser's address bar and hit Go. The router's set-up page should come up asking for a username and password. The instructions will tell you what to put in; the defaults are often admin for both.

Now go to the wireless network page and change the encryption. The instructions will tell you where that is and how to do it. Similarly for the other changes I suggested in my long post.

If you don't have the instructions, tell me the manufacturer's mane and the exact model number of the router and I will try to find out the exact instructions for you.

Regards,

Felix

ade.h 12:20 23 Aug 2006

If you can answer my earlier question, I will probably be able to give you a step-by-step. Though I don't why you found my website confusing; I'd be grateful for some feedback via the contact form on the site if you'd be happy to do that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?