Hover Pop-Ups

Rob Gibson 09:17 14 Oct 2006

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if there's a way to stop the little pop-up info windows when you hover the mouse pointer over a desk top, or task bar icon?

(Windows XP Home)

TIA.

Rob.

johnnyrocker 09:27 14 Oct 2006

there is a way but i am trying to find it. probably someone will get the info before i do;)

johnny.

brundle 09:37 14 Oct 2006

click here

Using TWEAKUI: Desktop, Taskbar and Start menu

The tab Taskbar gives you the chance to disable the irritating balloon tips (the option Enable Balloon tips), the balloon tips sometimes cover essential Start menu buttons.

Rob Gibson 09:48 14 Oct 2006

Thanks for your input guys. I've had a play around with TWEAKUI, but to no avail.

gudgulf 10:29 14 Oct 2006

Try this.

In Explorer, go to Tools>Folder Options and then select the View tab. Then, in the Files and Folders list, deselect the check boxes for "Display File Size Information In Folder Tips"(near the top of the list) and "Show Pop-Up Description For Folder And Desktop Items"(near the bottom of the list). Click OK.

Fellsider 11:12 14 Oct 2006

^^^^

Rob Gibson 12:36 14 Oct 2006

Thanks gudgulf, but no joy!

gudgulf 12:49 14 Oct 2006

Ok try this then...right click the Taskbar and select Properties.

Click on the Start Menu tab,highlight the Start Menu button and then click Customize.Click on the Advanced
tab and remove the tick from the " Open submenus when I pause on them with my mouse".

If this doesn't work then thats me out of ideas!

Nellie2 12:52 14 Oct 2006

click here;en-us;307729 But remember, if you are going to edit your registry then it is wise to make a backup first. click here

Nellie2 12:53 14 Oct 2006

Sorry, I messed up on the URL for the MS page, try this one click here

gudgulf 13:14 14 Oct 2006

I don't think he's on about the balloon tips...rather the little descriptive window that pops up when you haver your mouse over an icon.

Like if you hover your mouse over the little speaker icon in the Taskbar it pops up "Volume" in a little box.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017