HOTSPOTS ?

alt 16:49 25 Feb 2004

Can anyone please tell me what a wifi hotspot actually is...Thanks

Handy Spinner 17:10 25 Feb 2004

..but here is a rough explanation.

It's an area where you can walk in with a Wi-Fi enabled notebook computer and go on the internet for a fee. They are often found in coffee shops, etc.

In case you don't know what Wi-Fi is, it's a form of wireless communication.

Correct me, people, please, if I'm wrong!

alt 18:04 25 Feb 2004

so you actually have to go into the shop/pub/restuarant to use you wireless laptop?...you can't use it say outside, nearby?...sorry about this I don't understand the technology too well. I though that I could use my laptop within range of a hotspot....

LeadingMNMs 18:13 25 Feb 2004

The hotspot is the area where you can get a signal. Typically on a slower speed connection the range has a maximum value of 120m. Therefore theoectically you should be able to obtain a signal anywhere in a radius of 120m around the 'signal generator.'

Obviously your laptop would need some sort of reciever for these signals, usually in the form of a PCMCIA card or some laptops have the hardware built in.

AndyJ 18:15 25 Feb 2004

Have a look here click here

alt 18:18 25 Feb 2004

Hi Andy, I haven't bought the Laptop yes but someone said that Toshiba are the leaders with this kind of Laptop?...

mikef. 18:34 25 Feb 2004

I've just got myself a Centrino Laptop, these have built in WiFi, from Novatech very good deal at a very good price and very good service. click here

alt 18:55 25 Feb 2004

Ok Mike I am now having a look, what really confuses me is the adverts where you see someone sitting on a mountain top, or a very remote place with a laptop. Now how are they getting a signal, which laptop would they be using?...

LeadingMNMs 07:20 26 Feb 2004

Apparently there is a hotspot at the base camp on Everest so they can get a signal. Really the choice of laptop shouldn't matter (although in that case one that could handle freezing temperatures would be useful). As long as the laptop has some form of Wi-Fi sender / reciever in the form of a PCMCIA card, a USB device (not sure on range) or built in technology then it should be able to connect to the Internet via the hotspot for a fee.

Jester2K 07:40 26 Feb 2004

Also if you have WiFi in your house you could use it in your garden. I think it has a range of 300 meters or so (depends on weather and building layout etc)

As LeadingMNMs says the Hotspot is in a Base Camp so its near the bottom of Everest (although lots of people including me though it was inferring it was at the top of Everest!)

alt 08:07 26 Feb 2004

jester, how can I get wifi in my house and any idea od cost?....Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone