Hotmail/msn not connecting, firefox crashing

bus man 13:53 22 Jan 2009

Hello all.
I haven't needed to post for some time, but this has got me to the point of recovery disc.
Two days ago, after downloading AVG8,which may have something to do with it, my firefox will not open, just get crash report again and again:
"Firefox.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close...please tell microsoft about this problem ..blah blah send error report..."

If I try to log in to hotmail, messenger or gmail from ie7, I can enter login details, hit the enter button, but I get a similar message. I have tried system restore, but my restore dates do not go back far at all, only up to the day the problem began. I have ran scans for viruses, spyware, malware, reg fix , but no joy.
Can anyone shed some light ?

My system XP service pack 3 AMD Athlon xp2400 2.0ghz 768mb (it is quite old, but still reliable)

Need to go out soon, school run, but will reply to any assistance when I can. Thanks in advance.

bus man 14:01 22 Jan 2009

I also forgot to mention that when I try to download new programmes (netscape, super anti spyware) I receive the following message :

error 1327. invalid drive :G :\

bus man 19:43 22 Jan 2009

sorry, bump !

bus man 10:49 23 Jan 2009

Bump. Anyone ?

User-1229748 10:55 23 Jan 2009

i don't use firefox but you could try a reset of internet explorer by top right tools-internet options-advanced-reset.

bus man 10:58 23 Jan 2009

Thanks smackheadz, but I've tried that without success.

User-1229748 11:47 23 Jan 2009
  bus man 12:08 23 Jan 2009

Thanks again smackheadz. Looked into those links, but my main drive is still "C" , no mentiobn of a "G" anywhere. Will keep digging though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?