HOTMAIL USED IN OUTLOOK EXPRESS(Version 6)

David4637 18:53 22 Jun 2009

1. I have been just advised by Microsoft that Hotmail using the DAV protocol is to be switched off on the 1st Sept 2009.
They said there are two options to use, one being to add a new Hotmail account, but using POP3 instead of DAV.

Herewith the link for this option - click here

Then click on this text on the same page -
Add a Hotmail POP3 account in Outlook Express

2. I have created a new Hotmail account using the details from the link above.

3. The old Hotmail folders still work OK, ie Inbox, Sent Items, Deleted Items. Should they remain or be deleted. No mention in the link?

4. I noted you only get emails displayed in the Inbox, no emails displayed in the Sent Items.

5. Any advice on the best way to run this POP3 option would be very appreciated.

Thanks David

lotvic 22:13 22 Jun 2009

Just tested it out, it works the same way as any other pop3 account.
If you compose and send from OE copy of sent email is put in Sent folder.
If you compose and send from Webmail copy of sent email is put in Sent folder on webmail server.
Spam stays on Server and you have to 'have a look' now and then to check if there is any that is not spam.

re The old Hotmail folders in OE - I guess they will still work until 1st Sept 2009 - a matter of personal choice if you want to delete or stop using them before switch off date.

Emails in extra folders that I have added, I have created new folders in Local Folders and dragged and dropped the contents from hotmail DAV folders.

And thanks, I haven't had the notification but followed your link and reconfigured my existing OE Hotmail accounts to pop3.
I also had a couple of hotmail addys that I could only access in Webmail but now I can get them in OE as well
Many thanks :))

David4637 18:06 23 Jun 2009

Thank you for your reply.

1. Did you download the folders (Inbox, Sent Deleted) for this POP3 version of Hotmail, and would it work if you deleted the DAV Hotmail account including its folders (Inbox,Sent etc)

2.I would have thought that unless you delete the DAV version, you can not see if it will work after the 1 Sept 2009?

3.I am confused by the info in the link I provided, would you please go through how you set up POP3 Hotmail on your PC?

Thanks very much
David

lotvic 19:43 23 Jun 2009

1. No it won't let you download the folders as it is now (that is - for the free hotmail addy's that I have only on webmail) it only allows OE to collect the Inbox contents.
I have not yet deleted the DAV Hotmail folders in OE (that are for different to above email addy's)

2. I suppose both will work as they are different protocols. They do on mine anyway. I suppose after 1 Sept the DAV will just 'not work'

3. See below for OE settings.
------------------------
To clarify: I have 3 free hotmail addys.
One is from years ago and I can collect in OE via DAV and can syncronise folders with the Webmail server. This continued to be so even after Microsoft Hotmail decided to stop this facility for new free email addresses (a couple of years ago I think it was)

I then got 2 more free hotmail addys that did not allow me to collect via DAV in OE and I could only use these on the Web server.

Not being an expert in these matters, I just put the contents of the other folders into my Inbox (on Webmail sever) and downloaded them via OE after I had made the account(s) as below.

------------------------------
Add a Hotmail POP3 account in Outlook Express
Important
There are a few differences between DAV and POP3. For example, if you read an e-mail message in Outlook Express, the message still displays as unread in your Hotmail account on the web. Also, only messages in your Hotmail inbox appear in Outlook Express. Other folders, and any messages in them, aren't shown.

1. In Outlook Express, on the Tools menu, click Accounts.
2. Click Add, and then click Mail.
3. Type your name, and then click Next.
4. Type your full Hotmail e-mail address, and then click Next.
5. Enter the following information, and then click Next:
* In the My incoming mail server is a list, click POP3.
* In the Outgoing mail (SMTP) server box, type smtp.live.com
* In the Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP, or HTTP) server box, type pop3.live.com.
6. Type the account name and the password for your Hotmail account. Clear the Remember password check box unless you're the only person with access to the computer. Make sure that the Log on using Secure Password Authentication (SPA) check box isn't selected.
7. Click Next, and then click Finish.
8. In the Internet Accounts window, click the Mail tab, click the Hotmail account that you added, and then click Properties.
9. Click the Advanced tab, and under Server Port Numbers, enter the following information, and then click OK:
* In the Incoming mail (POP3) box, type 995.
* In the Outgoing mail (SMTP) box, type 25 or 587. (I am using 587)
* Under both Outgoing mail (SMTP) and Incoming mail (POP3), select the This server requires a secure connection (SSL) check box.
* Under Delivery, select the Leave a copy of messages on server check box if you want to see your messages when you use Hotmail on the web, on your mobile phone, or in another e-mail program. By default, Outlook Express deletes the messages from the Hotmail server after downloading them to your computer

David4637 20:30 24 Jun 2009

Thank you very much for ALL your help.
I will have to look and try out your procedure above and report back.
Thanks again for all your efforts, it is much appreciated.
David

David4637 22:14 24 Jun 2009

I added the new account called it Z Hotmail used the necessary POP3 IC & OG server names and your 995 587 and SSL check boxes which I had not previously ticked. Unticked Hotmail Original (DAV) Account so it would not use it, AND IT NOW WORKS FOR POP3.
Obviously when DAV is switched off I can delete Hotmail DAV account.
Thank you vey much for ALL your help
David

lotvic 22:59 24 Jun 2009

And thank you David as I hadn't known about the POP3 option for hotmail until you started this thread.

That's 2 happy people tonight :))

David4637 18:47 25 Jun 2009

A further item after I went and ticked RESOLVED.

Although the POP3 Hotmail account works with OE6, there is just one point I would like to clarify -

Any incoming Hotmail emails to OE6 DO NOT go into the Hotmail Inbox, but go into my ISPs Folder Inbox.

Is this is what you would expect or not?

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks David

lotvic 19:13 25 Jun 2009

"Any incoming Hotmail emails to OE6 DO NOT go into the Hotmail Inbox, but go into my ISPs Folder Inbox."

Errr... what's that mean? that can't be right.

What do you mean by "go into my ISPs Folder Inbox."

Surely if you are using OE as your mail client the only place you have an ISPs Folder Inbox is on Webmail on the ISPs webserver.

Did you mean incoming pop3 Hotmail goes into the OE Inbox (just like all the other pop3 email does)

note: the Hotmail Inbox and other hotmail folders that appear at bottom in OE are the Hotmail DAV account so POP3 email can't go in there - it's for DAV email.

Also I don't get the significance of ISP, I have several different email addys not with my ISP and they all (as well as my talktalk email) go into OE's Inbox.

David4637 13:03 26 Jun 2009

To clarify my OE6 folders -

1. The first set of folders (Inbox Sent etc) are used for my ISPs email address.

2. The second set of folders are for Hotmail.

3. When I use Hotmail POP3 any incoming Hotmail emails are put in the (1.) folders. Why should this be, and is there a way to correct it?
However any Hotmail emails being sent are in the correct Hotmail sent folder.

Any help much appreciated. David

lotvic 15:06 26 Jun 2009

Let's clarify:

Fact
1. The first set of folders (Inbox Sent etc) are Outlook Express Folders not your ISP's folders.
Outlook Express uses them to collect all POP3 protocol email.

2. The second set of folders are for Hotmail DAV protocol.

Outlook Express is an email client. It is one of many programs that can be used to collect and send email.
Other programs: Outlook (usually part of Microsoft Office), Windows Live Mail, Thunderbird, IncrediMail etc. etc.
click here for a list of email client programs.
Any of these can be used to collect POP3 email - you don't have to use Outlook Express.

----------
<<<3. When I use Hotmail POP3 any incoming Hotmail emails are put in the (1.) folders. Why should this be, and is there a way to correct it?>>>

Nothing to correct, Outlook Express is correctly collecting the POP3 email and putting it in OE's Inbox.

<<<However any Hotmail emails being sent are in the correct Hotmail sent folder.>>>

You are sending them on the Hotmail DAV account so yes they will go into the Hotmail DAV sent folder.
-----------------

To send Hotmail via the POP3 account, and to ensure you are using the POP3, I suggest you do as I have and rename that account,
Z Hotmail pop3
then when you compose new email choose the Z Hotmail pop3 to send it from.

You will also need: in Tools > Accounts > Z Hotmail pop3 >> Servers, put tick in Outgoing Mail Server - my server requires Authentication, click on Apply, click on OK

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?