Hotmail security code

VCR97 19:28 06 Sep 2013
Answered

I have a hotmail.com account and a hotmail.co.uk account. Tonight the .com a/c opened normally but the .co.uk a/c opened with a page saying that they want to send a security code. It looked genuine but is it?

Secret-Squirrel 21:14 06 Sep 2013
Answer

"...........but the .co.uk a/c opened with a page saying that they want to send a security code. It looked genuine but is it?"

Look at the URL in your browser's Address Bar. If it starts with https (to indicate it's a secure connection) and the bit of the URL in bold says live.com then you'll know you're on the genuine Microsoft Hotmail webpage.

iscanut 21:15 06 Sep 2013

I had a message from hotmail last week and did as requested. No problems. My hotmail is .com..

rdave13 21:18 06 Sep 2013

Hotmail can only be accessed via Outlook.com. now. Do you use Outlook.com via web mail or Windows Live Mail client?

Secret-Squirrel 21:31 06 Sep 2013

"Hotmail can only be accessed via Outlook.com. now"

It doesn't matter whether you use hotmail.com, hotmail.co.uk, or outlook.com as they all get redirected to live.com.

rdave13 23:04 06 Sep 2013

It doesn't matter whether you use hotmail.com, hotmail.co.uk, or outlook.com as they all get redirected to live.com.

Secret-Squirrel , check again.

Secret-Squirrel 23:26 06 Sep 2013

"Secret-Squirrel , check again."

I checked before I posted just to be sure.

Regardless of whether the URL's Hotmail or Outlook, they all redirect to live.com - like this. What domain do you see in your Address Bar if it's not the live one?

rdave13 23:50 06 Sep 2013

That's the one, domain Live and directs to Outlook. Sometimes not connecting. click here again and works. Wonder if Nokia can set Microdaft straight? 8-|

Checked

rdave13 23:52 06 Sep 2013

Posting misplaced the Checked word.

iscanut 06:23 07 Sep 2013

I login to [email protected] and as secret squirrel says you all end up in same place. My wife logs on as [email protected] and also ends up at Outlook.

rdave13 07:15 07 Sep 2013

Try setting up your PC as a trusted device on the account that asks for a security code. That code should be available from your alternative email. click here.

Also if you sign in via Outlook click the tools icon top right and select 'more email settings', account settings, sign in, security info, and turn off two-step verification on that account.

iscanut2 yes, they're Outlook email addresses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?