Hotmail password web reminder/reset

Patr100 23:47 22 Dec 2006

I usually access my very long standing hotmail email via Outlook Express so do not log in via the webpage - When I needed to just now and before I find I had difficulty remembering my password - as I never need to enter it normally using OE - Anyway I decided to ask for a reminder - If I did not have OE access why oh why do they attempt to send an email with instructions to change the password to an account that I would not able to access! Where is the logic in that!

The email that was supposed to be sent never arrived via OE anyway and I still can also see no reference to being able to access by entering some original information such sa postcode - that option in the help but doesn't seem to be actually available. I seem to be going round in circles - anyway I eventually remembered my original password but still would have a big problem if I hadn't .

Am I missing something?

Patr100 18:23 25 Dec 2006

Just me then is it?

eedcam 19:05 25 Dec 2006

Perhaps the answer is in Longstanding I thought OE stopped importing from hotmail unless you are using the paid version of hotmail?

Patr100 19:41 25 Dec 2006

Not relevant _ I am referring to the webpage log in and password, regardless of whether one has OE access.

lotvic 23:14 25 Dec 2006

""If you forget your password, we can send a password reset e-mail message to your alternate e-mail address.""

h t t p s : //acountservices.msn.com/ (without the spaces)
Add or change your alternate e-mail address

1. Sign in to Account Services click here
2. Click Credentials, and then click Add or change your alternate e-mail address.
3. Type your password, and then type and confirm your alternate e-mail address.
4. Click Continue, and then click Done.

Merry Christmas :)

Patr100 23:37 25 Dec 2006

But if you go to the link you erm.... need your password to sign into MSM accout services.

lotvic 00:07 26 Dec 2006

""anyway I eventually remembered my original password but still would have a big problem if I hadn't .""

so it's a good thing that you remembered it.
Now you will be able to sign in and set up a new alternate e-mail address so that if you do forget your password again you can click on the 'forgot password' and have the reset instructions sent to you :)

[When you first (many moons ago) set up your hotmail account, it was then that you would have been given the option to set up an alternate address for password reminders to be sent to]

Have a merry Christmas :)

Patr100 00:19 26 Dec 2006

That is obvious, but it stil doesn't address the original issue.

lotvic 00:33 26 Dec 2006

...erm
Am I missing something?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?