Hotmail message re cookies

flaming 13:19 18 Oct 2007

I recently discovered (by accident) a cookies window with the options to Delete or Allow. It flags up at the top of a page at certain times when - presumably - a cookie is trying to track me. The designations of the cookie sites seeking entry are meaningless to me so I have blocked any that come..
Yesterday I had a message from Hotmail saying I need to enable cookies to run a Hotmail account, and giving me instructions how to enable cookies. What does this mean? Is that a polite way of saying "we want you to have cookies, or else"? What will happen if I ignore the message?
Is there a valid technical reason for this. I've only had the one message after using the cookie block facility for about a month.
If I did have to allow some cookies, how do I know which ones are the needed ones. I should like to block the needless ones as I object to being tracked!

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:24 18 Oct 2007

Allow all the cookies as they will do your computer no harm. Once a week run Ccleaner and it will delete any accumulated rubbish. It is free and very good/safe click here.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:26 18 Oct 2007

ps...cookies do track your computer but they have no way of knowing who you are and they only track for market research. Don't get paranoid and let them do their job.

G

flaming 00:38 20 Oct 2007

Thanks, Gandalf. It was paranoid old me worrying about cookies! I am so scared of computer fraud that I am nervy about anything which might be classed as spying.
I can't really fathom who everyone "out there" is, who is doing it and how. I will try the cleaner but I am so slow with PC things.... I always have more other jobs to do than I can possibly achieve.
First, I've got to follow the instructions about how to allow cookies. My eyes glaze over in a way that you can't imagine when confronted by a few techie paragraphs. It's probably because I didn't grow up with IT.
I've already found that I can't play the extracts from tv programmes which I wanted to do on Friday, unless I instal cookies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires