Hotmail conundrum

Sea Urchin 21:41 07 Jan 2009

A friend uses Hotmail as her Home Page, and has ticked "Remember Me" so that she goes straight into her sign-in page and simply keys in the password to access her account. Unfortunately it seems that this transition has become corrupted in IE7, and so now she is taken to a page stating that IE is unable to display the page. IE works perfectly with all other websites - and Firefox gets into the Hotmail account without any problem.

However, she would like to use IE7, and I need to be able to tell the Hotmail site "not to remember her" so that we can set it up again. But how can I set anything up if we cannot get into the Hotmail site via IE - going to hotmail(dot)com just goes into her corrupted page.

Any suggestions as to how to do this would be much appreciated

Woolwell 23:24 07 Jan 2009

Could be a cookie problem. Try to find the hotmail cookie and delete it. Tools - Internet Options - General Tab - Browsing History - Settings and click on View Files

Or you could delete all of the site passwords for IE7 - Tools - Internet Options - General tab - Browsing History and click on Delete and then select Passwords.

Woolwell 23:44 07 Jan 2009

Before doing anything else have you tried emptying the browser cache?

Sea Urchin 23:50 07 Jan 2009

Thanks for these suggestions - they sound very hopeful. I shall try them when I visit her next Tuesday, and report back then.

Sea Urchin 23:56 07 Jan 2009

Sorry - cross posted. I will try that first.

Sea Urchin 18:09 13 Jan 2009

Thanks again for all your suggestions - in the end they weren't needed. Although she has had this problem for just under two weeks, and tried logging on every day, when she opened IE7 today it went straight to her Hotmail account correctly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?