hotmail attachments

tonyx1302 14:50 29 Sep 2005

I have folders of photos in my docs that I want to send by Hotmail but it stops me by saying 'Unsafe attachment..'. How do I make the folders safe and send them using Hotmail. I have read a previous post which tells me to send by zip file. How do I zip file them please and will the recipient be able to open them please ?

Jackcoms 14:56 29 Sep 2005

Try this. Download the free Evaluation version, which you can 'evaluate' for as long as you want! click here

Chegs ® 14:59 29 Sep 2005

There are several zip apps around,common one is Winzip.To use,put the pics in a folder,right-click and choose "add to zip..." then just attach to hotmail email.

interzone55 15:13 29 Sep 2005

Are you trying to email the whole folder?

You can't email a folder, you will have to select all the photo's separately and attach them to the email. Also beware that there is a limit to the size of an email, 10Mbs I think.

Alan

tonyx1302 15:32 29 Sep 2005

Sorry for the delay but have tried going with Winzip. Got really lost as it didn't seem to work.
What I have done is downloaded 60 pics from my digi camera which puts them as thumbnails and in a folder.I now want to forward on with one email but how do I send them? Sorry,I got really confused with WinZip.
If I right click on one photo/send/mail recipient and send one photo at a time to myself it arrives ok but how do I send 60???????????

Chegs ® 15:59 29 Sep 2005

Right-click on the folder containing your pics,select "add to zip file..." from the Winzip options.Beware though,Hotmail has a file size limit of 10Mbs,so you might have to split the pics between several folders.I have just experimented with a folder full of pictures,the pre zipped size was 4.2Mbs,the post zipped size was 4.3Mbs.This is because the jpgs are already a compressed file,so winzip cannot do any further compressing but adding the zip data increases their size.

tonyx1302 16:07 29 Sep 2005

I have done as you suggested but where do I go from there. They have gone to WinZip but I now have a W/Z header page with New/Open/Fav/Add etc nothing relating to emailing or forwarding.
Sorry to be such a pain

tonyx1302 16:36 29 Sep 2005

Whoop ! Sorry have just found the Zip file in 'my docs' waiting to be sent which I have just done and it arrived !!

Many thanks

Tony

Yoda Knight 16:41 29 Sep 2005

I thought you get an option to "zip and email" when you right click ???

Chegs ® 16:48 29 Sep 2005

You do,but Hotmail is limited to 10Mbs,so seperating the photos 1st,and then checking filesize before sending would seem the easiest option.

interzone55 16:48 29 Sep 2005

You do, but this will send using the default email client, which probably won't be Hotmail.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?