Hosts File and Home Network

skidzy 19:42 10 Dec 2007

Ive used the MVPS HOSTS file click here before on a single pc connected to the net via usb modem with good results.

However,i now have the host pc connected to the router via ethernet and all other machines connecting wirelessly.

Im tinkering with the idea of reloaded the host file on the host pc (vista).

My question is;

Will this affect the wireless connections ?
Reason i ask,is because it disables the dns client that is currently set to Auto and i thought its needed for the wireless machines and router.

Hands on experience and advice from anyone running the Hosts File and a home Network would be greatly appreciated.

The DNS client is possibly the only problem i can see and really do not want to goto services to activate this everytime internet access is needed.

This would also mean,the kids would need to know how to enable the service and that also means getting there grubby hands on my Machine....and thats a NO NO. Lol :-)))

As usual all replies and advice welcome and greatly appreciated.

Thankyou.

MAJ 19:51 10 Dec 2007

Has no effect on the Network , unless you set it to, of course. I use the HOSTS file and have a wireless network.

skidzy 19:56 10 Dec 2007

Cheers MAJ,just the answer im looking for.

I take it you have it loaded on a Vista machine ?

MAJ 20:01 10 Dec 2007

No skidzy, an XP machine, I missed your "(vista)", but I shouldn't think it would make a difference whether it's XP or Vista, unless UAC affects it.

skidzy 20:18 10 Dec 2007

From the above link

Editors Note: The above instructions are intended for a single (home-user) PC. If your machine is part of a "Domain", check with your IT Dept. before applying this work-around. This especially applies to Laptop users who travel or bring their machines home. Make sure to reset the Service (if needed) prior to connecting (reboot required) to your work Domain.

I maybe misreading this or everything will be ok anyway,but i have this feeling it will disable the dns client.

Though i will probably go ahead and try anyway,i will create a new ATI image first and a system restore point.

Though if any Vista users with a home network and using the Host file are reading this,there input would be greatly received.

MAJ 20:22 10 Dec 2007

T'would be interesting to see if Vista makes a difference, skidzy.

skidzy 20:24 10 Dec 2007

Watch this space MAJ,going to try it out in the next hour.

If i dont come back.....you will know why Lol :-))

skidzy 21:32 10 Dec 2007

Well its a no go,playing havoc with my router...why i dont know !

Once the host file is installed,it knocks out my adsl connection,system restore and a router reboot was needed to get things back to normal.

Checking the services ...no changes had been made.

This one is for Rawprawns Tinkering thread Lol. click here

If any further feedback comes along,i will look into it,but for now its a tick and resolved.

Cheers for the input MAJ.

woodchip 22:26 10 Dec 2007

I load Hosts on each computer Wired and Wireless

skidzy 22:34 10 Dec 2007

Hi Woody

Have you put this on Vista yet ? its caused havoc with the router connected by ethernet.

Unless of course its the isp having problems that is coinciding with me tinkering.

skidzy 22:34 10 Dec 2007

Hi Woody

Have you put this on Vista yet ? its caused havoc with the router connected by ethernet.

Unless of course its the isp having problems that is coinciding with me tinkering.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?