Hosting

kesral 14:25 14 Feb 2008

Hi, As a newcomer to hosting and web design can someone answer the following question. If I take out a hosting contract with a company does that allow me to download via my existing ISP, also as I have a domain from my last ISP can I download my emails via the hosting proveder or do I need to pay my ISP to do this. This may seem an odd question but due to a move I now access the net via my bothers system and would like to get my old domain running as a stand alone item then start building a website. Thanks for any info
mike

MAJ 15:27 14 Feb 2008

I think you might be getting mixed up in your terms, kesral. Hosting usually has nothing to do with your ISP (internet service provider) unless you have some free webspace (hosting) with them that you are trying to use. If that is the case then usually you need to connect to that websapce using their (your ISP's) connection in order to upload and download files via FTP.

If your hosting is with a dedicated hosting company, like Heart Internet click here or One And One click here, then it doesn't matter which ISP you are using, you should be able to connect to your webspace via FTP to upload and download files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?