Host my own website

CLONNEN 19:26 30 May 2006

How hard is it to host your own website from home?

I have a network drive (Lacie EDMini) which states it can be accessed via HTTP so can I use it to host a website?

Am I allowed to host a website over my Broadband connection (Virgin.net)?

How would I link a domain name to the Network Drive and would I be able to restrict other files stored on the drive from being accessed by web surfers?

Forum Editor 19:45 30 May 2006

I very much doubt it - Virgin might have something to say about your bandwidth consumption, if your site got at all busy.

Frankly, hosting from home just isn't a viable proposition, although it might be fun to try. You'll need to run your web-server 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and you'll need a fixed IP address - something Virgin probably won't be too keen to give you. The world is fast running out of available IP addresses, and all ISPs have a strictly-controlled allocation.

Apart from that, you'll need a good firewall, and I don't mean the type you download free of charge, and you'll need a reasonable working knowledge of web server technologies. You'll also need to run a nameserver, so you can host your domain name.

Unless you are dead set on doing this I advise you to forget the idea. If you are dead set, then ask away, and we'll try to help as much as possible.

CLONNEN 19:57 30 May 2006

Guess I'll just have to pay for proper web hosting. Having seen Web Server programs knocking around the internet I wondered if there was a free way of doing it.

Is 1and1.co.uk any good? They seem to have a good range of features (CGI, Form Builder, Newsletter etc.) although I probably won't be using most of the features. 800MB of webspace seems a lot more than I actually need.

ade.h 21:10 30 May 2006

You can get better value and better service than 1and1. Webmania for example. Or Heart Internet. Or Streamline even.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?