Host File Problem.

birdface 09:06 06 Feb 2009

I normally update my Host File every month.But recently I have been getting System Error 5 Access Denied when updating.I also use Winpatrol and it asks if I want to accept or deny the new update and I accept it.
Now the problem is although Winpatrol changes it it is not updated on the computer hence the System Error 5 Access Denied.

I downloaded Trojan Remover on a 30 day trial and it comes up with possible Trojan in Host File which may stop updating of A/virus and A/Spyware programs.And is showing the latest host file as October.

Anyone know how to repair the system error so that I can update to the latest host file.

Trojan Remover offered to remove the October host file and revert back to the original Microsoft H/File which the error 5 will not allow.

VoG II 09:35 06 Feb 2009

Try this one click here

birdface 09:46 06 Feb 2009

Hi Vog many thanks for that but it is the one I normally use.I am running a Trojan Remover scan at the moment so will wait till it finishes,I think that it maybe a Firewall problem.So I have downloaded your click here again and I will switch off from the Internet and try and download it again and see what happens.

birdface 09:52 06 Feb 2009

If there is any Trojans I would wonder how they managed to get there as I use Winpatrol to stop anything from changing my Host File.Unless they were downloaded with the host file.?

birdface 10:48 06 Feb 2009

Never worked with the Internet switched off.Just tried it with hips switched off in Kerio Firewall and so far no error report.But Trojan Remover still comes up with problems in host file.So if host file has been updated and Trojan remover is still finding problems with it.Is the problem actually already in H/File when you download it.I will need to find out how to check which Host File is being used first,and can't quite remember how to do it.Will have a look on Google and see what I can find.

birdface 11:25 06 Feb 2009

Looks like it has updated but still getting the same problem when scanned with Trojan Hunter.So not sure if it is a problem with Host File or Trojan hunter,It could be a bit worrying if it is a problem with the host file as that could lead to a lot of problems.

VoG II 11:28 06 Feb 2009

I have that hosts file with no problems so I would suspect Trojan Hunter.

birdface 11:40 06 Feb 2009

Had the same problem with the October version.Like you I update it every month but it obviously has not being doing it recently with the Hips turned on.At least I know how to install it properly now.Like you i think its a Trojan Remover problem and will just ignore it just now.Thanks for all your help it was appreciated and will now class as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?