Hone Network?

Terrylr 11:12 29 Sep 2006

Hi,

I wonder if someone could offer me some advice?

I have a laptop, dekstop and network printer which I want to hook up. I want to be able to print to the printer from the laptop and desktop. Also access files from each machine. I have a wireless router with 4 cat connections.

What would be the best way of doing this? a workgroup or something?

Thanks!

ArrGee 11:29 29 Sep 2006

Have you made the printer available as shared on the network? (Start - Printers, then right click the printer and click on Share)

ArrGee 11:30 29 Sep 2006

The same applies to any folders that you want to share on the network. Right click the appropriate folders and set them to share.

Terrylr 11:37 29 Sep 2006

Hi ArrGee,

Thanks for your message.

This is a small office - there is nothing like a domain controller so it's not really a network.

I need to be able to see the other computer before I can share anything... that's the bit I'm not sure about.

I think I need to setup a workgroup?

ArrGee 13:07 29 Sep 2006

You don't have to have a domain controller.

You may need an ethernet cable for the initial installation, before going wireless.

First of all, plug the printer into the desktop and the desktop into the router.

Configure your desktop to work with the router using the supplied software.

Once configured, you can unplug the desktop from the router and go wireless.

Next, make sure the printer is set to shared (as I outlined earlier)

Next, your laptop should be able to see the wireless router. If not, configure it using the ethernet cable into the router and use the supplied software again (as you have done with the desktop). Once the desktop and laptop are both on the wireless network, you can choose which folders on the laptop and desktop you wish to share (also as mentioned earlier).

You should now also be able to print from both machines as well as shares files between the to computers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017