Homeplug adaptors

GBL 21:25 25 Jan 2010

I am looking at getting some Homeplug adaptors so that I can connect my humax Foxstat to the TV to enable me to get BBC iPlayer.
Do these need to be on the same Ring main to operate? any info of help?

bazb 22:08 25 Jan 2010

Hi

I'm using Homeplug adaptors, 1 connected upstairs to the router, the other downstairs connected to another computer.

I would imagin that they are on seperate ring mains, I'm not an electrician so I could be wrong, but upstairs and downstairs are usually seperate ring mains.

Tim1964 22:49 25 Jan 2010

All the ring mains, lights/sockets/cooker/shower et al are ultimately connected together at the consumer unit/fuse box.
So yes they will work upstairs to downstairs or inside to the shed etc. It is possible (in theory) that your neighbour could share your connection if you wanted them to IF they were on the same phase but then signal deterioration comes into play.

hssutton 22:56 25 Jan 2010

Not in my home, if they're not on the same ring I get very slow or no internet, but run an extension so that they are both on the same ring they work perfectly.

GBL 08:59 26 Jan 2010

Thanks, I will see what happens then, although in a different room it will be on separate ring main.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017