Homepage hijacks

NickyK 18:49 13 Oct 2004

Two questions here: firstly, can anyone tell me in simple words what a home page is, what it does and why?

Secondly, a friend has just phoned and thinks his homepage has been hijacked. It was set as follows:

lookforcc?pin=2N126

(he did tell me this down the phone, but I wrote this down as carefully as I could).

I helped him reset his page to something that I knew to be safe (his default wouldn't refault, but it's a very old computer - WIndows98, by the way). But does the above address that he had look safe? Maybe it was okay all along.

NickyK

JonnyTub 18:55 13 Oct 2004

A homepage is the very first page a browser displays when internet explorer is launched.

As for "lookforcc?pin=2N126" i'm not sure of at all, google reveal nothing.

nick_j007 18:56 13 Oct 2004

A home page is a place that your browser initially opens up at such as click here.
This is your starting place for browsing the web.

tools, internet option,homepage.

click here

The link above should get you going but it is for the more advanced user as far as I can tell, so post here with findings maybe.

Search here for 'hijack this'.

Good luck,

HTH,

Nick

JonnyTub 18:57 13 Oct 2004

tell him to be safe and run a virus scan, spybot, adaware, etc.

VoG II 18:57 13 Oct 2004

Protect yourself Spywareblaster click here Startpage Guard click here

NickyK 19:07 13 Oct 2004

Thanks, again, for all this help and advice. Really appreciated at this end.

NickyK

NickyK 19:08 13 Oct 2004

Oh, and my friend says thanks too! (and, no, he really is a real person, not me being too embarrassed to appear an idiot - I can do the latter on my own!)

NickyK

nick_j007 19:27 13 Oct 2004

Tell him not be shy and say hello...

By the way I've a mate with this problem and....

Dorsai 19:52 13 Oct 2004

And, as no one mentioned it,

A hijack is when somthing keeps setting the home page to somwhere other that where the PC user wants it to be. And normally, keeps re-seting it as you brouse, so you keep ending up at the same unwanted place, every few minutes. GRRR time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone