Homegroup and networking problems windows 7

sputnick 12:32 29 Nov 2013

I have tried to set up a homegroup with pc and laptop both using w7. I can see the setup on both and the laptop will access the files on pc but the pc host will not find the laptop. I have pinged both and they seem to be ok. If I double click on computer and my laptop on the pc I get a message that it is not accesible. Why can the laptop access the pc but not the other way. I have the pc wired to the Sky netgear router and the laptop to router. I have tried dozens of suggestions from Microsoft help pages and others by tearing my hair out now. I need the pc to access laptop as I have Easy duplicate removal program on pc but need to acces files on laptop.

Woolwell 13:05 29 Nov 2013

Try turning your firewall(s) off briefly. I have found that they have blocked access. You may need to set a rule in the firewall.

sputnick 13:21 29 Nov 2013

Just tried that and disabling virus checking

Woolwell 13:26 29 Nov 2013

Router firewall?

Assume that you have rebooted desktop, laptop and router.

sputnick 14:17 29 Nov 2013

Tried that, even uninstalled AVG Gettin message " \Bryan-laptop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network. The specified network provider name is invalid

sputnick 14:37 29 Nov 2013

I`m getting windows error 0x80070035 network path not found. Doing a google search for that error code brings up hundreds of hopefull resources but no help as I`d done all that. Who said setting up a Homegroup was easy??

Woolwell 14:59 29 Nov 2013

It is almost certainly not an anti-virus problem but could be firewall. Are you using Zone Alarm by any chance? See Windows secrets.

Another old thread that contains solutions Network path not found.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires