Home Wireless Router Question

Graphicool1 10:47 06 Aug 2010

Hi
Desktop WinXP SP3 (me) and Vista Laptop (my wife) both connecting to a Belkin Wireless Router.

Most of the time our individual connections - wether we are on the Net at the same time or not - are fine. But sometimes - just recently - they have been megga slow. To the point, where, the other night my PC wouldn't connect at all. So I left it for a while and when I tried again a little later, it was fine.

This brings us to this morning and my question. I couldn't connect to the Net. I went through the usual rounds of unplugging, replugging, getting Windows to check the line etc., All to no avail.

I thought I may as well open the wireless utility, I clicked, it opened and there, under Network 'Name' 'Band' & 'Signal' was my neighbours connection at the top of the list. The second being my own. His connection showed at 42% whereas mine was 100%. My line is protected against outside users, I don't know - as yet - if his is. I refreshed my control panel, where-upon his details disappeared, leaving only mine. My PC then when straight on line!?

Now for my question...
Is it possible that when my connection is slow and or I can't connect at all, it's because my PC is connecting or trying to connect to my neighbours router?

mgmcc 11:23 06 Aug 2010

Wireless software will always scan for "Available Wireless Networks" and list all that it finds. However, in the event of neighbouring networks not being secured, you should ensure that you own network is first on the list, so that you don't connect to someone else's by default.

Graphicool1 11:25 06 Aug 2010

How?

mgmcc 13:20 06 Aug 2010

"How" depends on the software and wireless adapter you're using, but in the list of "Wireless Networks" you may have an option to order the list so that yours is first. With Windows "Wireless Zero Configuration" (which I'd recommend using with XP) have look at this screen shot. click here

Graphicool1 15:57 06 Aug 2010

Oh yes, I see, as far as I can tell I can't do anything like that with Belkin as it stands. I looked at the Windows wireless Zero Configuration, I am aprehensive about using it. As I don't really know that much - nothing - about it. I had such a hell of a job setting it up to work with my desktop. So much so that I am uneasy about messing with it again.

As it was, the set up instructions told me to attach the ethernet cable initially, to set up the router. Problem from square one, my PC doesn't have an etherenet connection. So with a lot of messing about I did it, how, I have no idea, just that I did it with a plug in adapter.

As I said, I've had a look at the Windows Zero thingy and it seems like it wants to set it up from scratch. I can't see why it doesn't just have a wizard, that does it all for you, by looking at the present set-up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?