Home wireless networking issue

mgpillay 21:04 05 Jan 2008

Hi,

I recently formatted my hard disk and have lost my network key for connecting to my home wireless network.
Is there any way to retrieve the key?
If not, will I have to contact the manufacturer of the wireless router or my internet service provider?

Hope someone can help me out since being 'wired' is driving me nuts!

Thanks in advance,
M

Killo Bite 21:33 05 Jan 2008

Name of router
Which windows
Which ISP

PalaeoBill 21:34 05 Jan 2008

Usually you can just browse to the wireless router and login to it. Go to the wireless setup page and the Wep or WPA key will be visible.

What model of router do you have?

mgpillay 22:02 05 Jan 2008

Router: ZYXEL
Windows XP
Yahoo BT Broadband

mgpillay 22:04 05 Jan 2008

Palaeobill,

I've been using the dsl (wired) modem for the last fe w months and only today tried connecting the wireless router.
The key isn't visible on the wireless setup page.

100andthirty 22:04 05 Jan 2008

connect to the router using ethernet cable. Browse to the router's home page and then to the wireless security page. If you're lucky the key will be there in clear text. You'll probably have to enter a user name and password to get to the settings page. if you've changed them and forgotten, read on. If they're the default ones, then look in the manual.

If you can't get into the security page, then you'll have to to restore the router to its factory settings and start again

100andthirty 22:06 05 Jan 2008

posts crossed,

so you'll have to try a reset to factory settings, then you can set it up again for security

mgpillay 15:11 07 Jan 2008

Thanks for the advice, guys.

:)

lester1 00:35 08 Jan 2008

Might be an obvious thing but my router has a label on the back showing the wep key. If you had a WAP key then reset to factory settings and reset.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?