Home Video Editing

wotan 23:02 04 Jun 2003

Hi,
I am looking to copy existing Hi-8 video tapes to disc and also some digital material onto disc. I would like an editing facility and any other 'bits' that will help enhance home videos.
I would appreciate any advice as to system requirements and what is available on the market.
My system uses XP Home on an AMD 2000+ processor with 512mb memory and I have approx 50Gb of space on my 80Gb hard drive. Is this adequate for the job, and do I need anything extra on the hardware side such as specific graphics or sound cards.
All and any advice gratefully received.
Wotan.

Belatucadrus 23:21 04 Jun 2003

A couple of bits of free software for video editing that may be of interest, I can't advise you as to hardware as I only do stills.

Zwei Stein click here

ABC Videoroll click here

wotan 22:52 05 Jun 2003

To Belatucadrus,
Thanks for the response, I will give these links a try, I already edit stills, but am looking to move on to movies.
Regards,
Wotan

Bagsey 23:45 05 Jun 2003

As you are running XP you have in windows movie maker the beginners editing software for Digital video editing. If you have a firewire port on yor computer then you have all you need to capture digital video and edit it at the beginers level. Now analogue Hi8 is a different ball game as you will need a video capture card to get your video into your computer. Having got it in you can then use your movie maker software to do the editing. What capture card you choose is a personal choice but you will find an abundance of them available. I personally favour the Pinnacle cards and their software as I find them more intuative to use. But as I said that is a personal issue. Having got your analogue video into your computer you can join up this with your digital video for your final epic.

Audeal 00:04 06 Jun 2003

Belatucadrus. I am under the impression that ABC Video Roll is no longer supported as I have not been able to register. Each time I try to log onto their website it fails to find it. I did register a couple of years ago, but never got round to using it. I have now lost my reg No. and can't get another one.

Belatucadrus 00:10 06 Jun 2003

Yes if you follow the download instructions all the ABC links are shot, sorry about posting outdated info.

wotan 15:50 07 Jun 2003

Once again the forum has come up with the goods, I feel more confident about embarking on vidfo editing thanks to the input of these members.
Thanks for taking the time and trouble to answer my query,
regards,
Wotan

wotan 15:51 07 Jun 2003

Once again the forum has come up with the goods, I feel more confident about embarking on vidfo editing thanks to the input of these members.
Thanks for taking the time and trouble to answer my query,
regards,
Wotan

wotan 15:53 07 Jun 2003

Sorry about the spelling, of course I meant video editing, my next task is to learn how to type.
Wotan

MichelleC 16:03 07 Jun 2003

Just another point on dv editing. Because dv consumes so much hd space and ram it's best to have a dedicated 2nd hd so pcu can cope better, else errors can occur. Good solid dv editing prog is Video factory from click here. Happy editing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?