HOME PLUGS

njb47 01:16 19 Feb 2010

JUST INSTALLED VIRGIN 50 MBS INTERNET,
THEY SUPLIED ONE
"N WIRELESS ADAPTER" THIS GIVES RESULTS OF UP TO 49MBS,
MY OLD "G WIRELESS ADAPTER" GIVES ME UP TO 20 MBS,( I was told to expect this on here)
WE BOUGHT SOME SOLWISE HOMEPLUGS RATED UP TO 85 MBS BUT I CAN ONY GET UP TO 15 MBS USING THESE ????????? ANY IDEAS WHY THEY ARE NOT PERFORMING BETER ? THEY OUT PERFORMED MY OLD "G WIRELESS ADAPTER" WHEN WE WERE RUNNING 10 MBS INTERNET BY 10% ?????

mgmcc 10:54 19 Feb 2010

I'm a bit confused by the details you've posted. Firstly, by "N WIRELESS ADAPTER" and "OLD G WIRELESS ADAPTER", I assume you actually mean *ROUTERS*, the wireless device that connects by ethernet cable to Virgin's Cable Modem?

A Wireless [Network] Adapter is the component installed in the PC, either an internal PCI card or a USB "dongle", which connects to a wireless network.

If a new 802.11n (N) Router is giving an internet download speed of 49Mbps, then you are effectively getting the full benefit of the 50Mbps service.

I don't understand why the older 802.11g (G) Router, if that's what it is, only gives a speed of 20Mbps, but it isn't clear what you're measuring. The Router will connect by ethernet cable to the Cable Modem at 100Mbps, a "wired" connection from one of its LAN ports to a PC will run at 100Mbps, a "wireless" connection from a PC will have a nominal connection speed of 54Mbps. Only the "wireless" connection should fail to achieve the full potential of the 50Mbps internet connection.

With an 802.11n (N) Router and compatible Wireless Network Adapters, the data transfer speed of a "wireless" connection between PC and Router should be 150Mbps or 300Mbps, depending on the hardware. The speed between Router and Cable Modem will still be 100Mbps.

If you are connecting a Solwise "wireless" adapter and only getting 15Mbps, then something may not be correctly configured, but what are you measuring - Solwise to Router, PC to Solwise or internet download speed?

njb47 17:43 19 Feb 2010

Sorry my I.T. knowledge not good
we have a 50 mbs modem virgin, and a d-link dwa-140 router
and the network adapters are "g" and "n" hence the differance in speedtest.net readings.
solwise homeplugs are not "wireless" they are wired both ends into sockets and ethernet ports into the computer does this help you solve my problem ?
Treat with care
Thanks for your reply so far

rizlo29 18:35 19 Feb 2010

The wall plugs should still show 100Mbps. Ive got a pair and it shows 100Mbps???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?