Home networking for the novice

  beattyben 11:57 22 Mar 2005

I want to set up a wireless home networking system between 2 PC's on different floors of the house, mainly for interent use. I have a 600kb NTL broadband connection on 1 machine, both machines run Windows XP, the host PC (if that's the right term)has an SIS 900 based PCI fast etherent adapter and a USB cable modem 351000#2. The second PC has a Realtek RTL8129/810X family PCI fast etherent NIC. I have read many of the postings on this subject and am now totally confused. Can anyone out there help, what do I need to buy, where do I get advice to set it all up etc.Thanks in anticipation

  Belatucadrus 12:11 22 Mar 2005

The NIC cards listed are for cable connection, to use these you need a crossover cable of suitable length. They aren't going to be of use for wireless.
Here are some links that may be of use.

click here
click here
click here
click here

  FelixTCat 12:33 22 Mar 2005

If you want to set up wireless networking, you will need 2 items of wireless equipment, one on each floor.

There are 2 ways of doing this:

1. set up a wireless router between your cable modem and its nearest pc. That pc will be connected by an ethernet cable. The other pc will need a wireless network PCI card or USB adapter. Both pcs can access the internet independently and you can set them up to share files, printers etc

2. set up an ad-hoc wireless connection between the 2 pcs and share the internet through the first pc. This requires it to be on whenever the second pc wishes to gain internet access. For this you need a wireless network PCI card or USB adapter for each pc.

Option 1 is slightly more expensive (~£70 as opposed to ~£20) but is generally more reliable and easier to set up. It also means that if you have a problem with your main pc, the other can still access the internet.

There is a very wide range of equipment and suppliers for this kit. The first thing to do is decide which method you wish to use.

  beattyben 12:39 22 Mar 2005

Many thanks FelixTCat, I think I will go for option 1. Next question where's the best place to buy all this stuff?

  JaßîsFaß ˜ 12:48 22 Mar 2005

Try a PC World

  selfbuild 12:56 22 Mar 2005

You are joking arn't you.....

beattyben, click here

  FelixTCat 12:56 22 Mar 2005

Quick reality check - you say that you have a USB cable modem; does it also have an ethernet network port that you can use to connect it to your host pc? If so, follow on. If not, option 1 may not be available.

My favourite is eBuyer. Their service is very quick and their prices very keen. Some people don't like them, complaining of poor service if you have a problem. An alternative is Dabs. Both are on the web.

I would suggest that you look at this package: click here

Although it has an adsl modem built in, you can still connect it to your cable modem and it will work perfectly well. Then, if you give up ntl and go back to BT (as I did), it will work on adsl broadband.

  beattyben 13:05 22 Mar 2005

Cheers FelixTCat, I've checked and the cable modem box has an ENET connection on the back. I'll check out the prices on Ebuyer.

  Yoda Knight 13:06 22 Mar 2005

Thought - different floors may be a problem for wireless networking... ?

  FelixTCat 13:19 22 Mar 2005

No, not necessarily. I'm working from my ground floor lounge at the opposite end of the house from my router, which is in a first floor office (ex-bedroom). I also run a wireless network in a flat through a concrete floor.

  beattyben 13:26 22 Mar 2005

FelixTCat many thanks-I've checked out your suggestion, it looks like a reasonable package to me as it comes with a USB adapter for £61.80

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?