home networking noob!

darthballs 12:59 01 Jun 2007

what is the easiest and preferably a cheap way of connecting two home pc to the internet? im on virgin (so its cable) i know that makes a difference to a router and having both pc's online at the same time. but i want to be able to check the 2nd pc when i have to from the first one. i have previoudly run pc straight to pc but then the first one has to on for the 2nd to go online!

thanks for any advice given!

fitshase 16:47 01 Jun 2007

Buy a Cable/DSL router (NOT ADSL router!). Plug the cable modem into the internet port of the router and then plug an ethernet cable from each computer to the router.

Run the setup wizard on the router, enable file and printer sharing on both computers and you should be up and running.

Both computers can then access eachother and the internet.

If you want to go wireless, get a wireless router but if the computers are near to eachother, I would save the money and hassle and buy a normal router.

Strawballs 21:51 01 Jun 2007

click here any one of these will do.

darthballs 08:42 04 Jun 2007

thanks guys, will both computers be able to access the internet at the same time, im on 4mb at the moment, so for average users, would this be ok, i know theres programs you can get to divide the download speeds between the p.c's so would it be worth getting one if one pc was being used for online gaming?
thanks again.
darthballs

fitshase 19:36 04 Jun 2007

The router will route the internet traffic according to demand.

If both computers are online doing the same thing, the traffic will be allocated equally. If one is more intensive, the traffic will be allocated OK.

And yes... both can be online at the same time.

Strawballs 22:33 04 Jun 2007

I am only on 4meg and I have 3 machines that access the net at the same time via my router no problems on a Virgin connection

darthballs 05:35 23 Jul 2009

its a netgear wgr614

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?