Home Networking with crossover cable

wicked willy 18:40 13 Jan 2005

Hi Everyone, Specs. first:- Both Computers using XP Home edition, one connected with AOL Broadband, Please can someone help in regarding Home Networking. I have connected the 2 computers together withn a crossover Cable and both computers can see one another with shared files, but when I try to get AOL Gold they seem blind to each other, I have been in touch with AOL and they told me that they do not support networking without a Aol approved router even if it is connected with only a xcrossover cable, How can I get the 2 Computers to see and speak to each other and go and use the internet connection, all help will be gratefully received Thanks in Advance Bill

Kegger 18:45 13 Jan 2005

Hi Wicked willy,

AOL are never helpful when you want them to be!! a work around would be to set up a proxy on the PC that has the internet connection and point other PC to the proxy. you can download a free version of proxy+ from here click here i have used it on a few customers and they have had no problems . Kegger

sgoku 18:46 13 Jan 2005

you have to enable internet connection sharing but i dont know how aol will work in the way you are trying a cheap router would make your life easier

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?