Home networking – advice/training needed.

Drpeter 10:08 08 Aug 2009

Although I am not new to computers, I am new to this subject and need help/guide.
My main computer running XP Pro SP3 is connected to the router (Orange Livebox) by ethernet cable. My Laptop running XP Home SP3 is wirelessly connected to the same router – both work well.
I thought I had set up a LAN: the laptop shows:-
“Local Area Connection LAN or high speed inter… Network Cable unplugged Marvel Yukon…
Wireless network connection LAN or high speed inter… Connected Atheros…”
My main computer shows:-
“Microsoft Windows Network, then gives the name of the network I set up in a subfolder, then my name in another subfolder, Printers and Faxes and Scheduled Tasks in yet another subfolder”

Firstly, I doubt whether this is a workable network – what do I do next?
When I have a workable network, how do I transfer files and how do I print from the laptop, on the printer attached to the main computer? Pointing me to a suitable guide would be useful.
Many thanks for the usual expert help I always receive from this forum!!
Peter

howard64 10:46 08 Aug 2009

you need to set sharing on virtually every folder you intend to use. Then make sure you have something [any file] in the sharing folder. You must also ensure that each pc/laptop is on the same workgroup. The biggest problem normally is the firewall on each pc. I normally set the IP address of each other pc as trusted in the firewall on the other pc. Once done you should be able to see the other pc/laptop by double clicking network places - workgroup - mshome.

wotbus@ 13:40 08 Aug 2009

Another tip. Each computer on the network must have a different name EG PC1, PC2, PC3 etc. They can't all becalled Eric :-)

Technotiger 14:25 08 Aug 2009
  Drpeter 09:01 09 Aug 2009

It is now quite clear that I do NOT yet have a working network.
I have also looked at the Guide, But can find no instructions to help me set up a home network - for an ethernet connected computer with a wi-fi connected laptop.
Thanks for your efforts so far,
Peter

Technotiger 09:13 09 Aug 2009
  Drpeter 10:48 10 Aug 2009

Many thanks Technotiger. However, the guides you point to refer to setting up a wireless network, whereas I am still searching for a way to set up a network between one ethernet connected computer and the other a wireless connected one. Perhaps this is not possible, but I am not yet convinced of that fact.
Peter

brundle 10:52 10 Aug 2009

The medium used to connect the computers to the LAN isn't important. The method is the same wired>wired, wired>wireless, wireless>wireless.

This might help; click here

Drpeter 14:29 15 Aug 2009

After many trials and errors, my problem turned out to be related to firewalls. In particular, the ZoneAlarm fitted on my main computer. Firstly, I had the Main Zone Security set on HIGH, which should have been on MEDIUM. Then, for some unknown reason, the list of trusted zones did not include my laptop's IP address. Once this was added, my local network connected and I was able to achieve all my goals. The ZoneAlarm fitted on my laptop, was then adjusted as above, but DID recognise my main computer IP address by itself.
I am adding this, in case it might help someone else struggling as I did!
Many thanks to everyone who helped!
Peter

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?