Home Network setup problem

PC_HelpMe 23:49 09 Jun 2010

Hi folks,

Please bear with me in my explanation of my problem.

1. I have a laptop which runs on Vista and a main computer that runs on Windows XP Home Edition.

2. I attempted to set up a home network via the main computer and was successful in that whilst on my laptop I can access various folders on my main computer - but I can't work out how to allow my main computer to access files on my laptop.

3. What do I need to do to allow my main computer to "find" my laptop? (They obviously recognise each other to some degree as my laptop is used downstairs and uses a wireless connection to the modem upstairs).

I know you'll only be able to give me very limited responses to my question due to the fact I've no idea what I'm talking about really - and therefore am not sure what information I should have provided you with here so as to provide a more informative answer, but anything you can come up with would be very much appreciated. If you need to know any more information, please let me know what. Thanks.

leavingpastime 07:44 10 Jun 2010

Home network setup can be complicated by many "what if" issues. To answer questions about your home networking needs, try this interactive tool that explains what you need to know about building a new home network (or rebuilding an existing one):

click here

Using this tool, you will learn whether a traditional hub, switch, router, or perhaps some wireless gear is needed for your home. Then, you'll get additional tips for assembling this gear into a functioning network configuration and maximizing its potential.

--------------
Best Game Ever
click here

onthelimit 08:57 10 Jun 2010

Some advice her on file sharing click here - similar for Vista.

Technotiger 09:25 10 Jun 2010

Ignore leavingpastime's post ... already reported as a spammer!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017