home network set up help please

windsock 08:09 24 Jan 2010

Hi all I’m trying to set up a home network for file sharing printing etc:
I have 3 comps, which I would like to network.
1st is a desktop which has a Ethernet cable connected to wireless router, running windows xp with printer attached by usb.
2nd is a mini laptop running xp
3rd is a laptop running vista
Both laptops connected wirelessly to sky router and all 3-can accesses the Internet.
I have had a go at setting a network up, but can’t seem to get it working so I thought a little help and advise might go a long way.
My first question is which machine should I create the network on first xp desktop wired to router or vista laptop?
2nd question when I tried to set up network before with set up wizard on xp comp it asked me for a ssid and network key should I have used the sky ssid and network key that was supplied with my sky wireless router to transfer to other comps by pen drive, because I actually just created random ssid and network key

mgmcc 09:59 24 Jan 2010

You can try running the Network Wizard, but disregard any reference to transferring files to another computer by Floppy or USB Flash drive - it isn't necessary.

I've "networked" computers many times and never yet used the wizard to do it. Some of the options in the wizard are confusing and it's too easy to select the wrong option.

As your computers are all connected to your router for their internet access, they are already "networked". Set any folders that you want to have available over the network as "shared" by right clicking and selecting the Sharing & Security option [XP] or Share [Vista].

In Vista, go into the Network & Sharing Center and set to On:

- Network Discovery
- File Sharing
- Public Folder Sharing

It can also be helpful in the XP PCs to install the Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder click here

Any third-party software, such as Zone Alarm, needs to be configured to allow access to the networked computers, which may involve adding their IP addresses in a "trusted" section.

For instructions on setting up a "shared" printer (attached to an XP PC) in Vista click here

The Kestrel 12:17 24 Jan 2010

These two links may help:

click here

click here

windsock 13:19 24 Jan 2010

thanks for your responses will have a go tonight when all is quite, will let you know how i get on.

windsock 20:32 24 Jan 2010

i would like to say a big thankyou i followed your advice and now all 3 comps can now share files and printers kids well happy thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017