Home network questions

wednesday 13 17:19 23 May 2005

Hi,

I have a win 98 and win Xp PC and was hoping to get them both to use the internet at the same time and run through the same printer.

I have got as far as creating a network setup floppy and think I have the right port and lead but am stuck from there, so I have a few questions to ask.

1) Do I connect the PCs with the wire like the wire to connect to the internet but with both ends as the small part that plugs into the PC?

2) Does the wire connect through the port with the picture of the three computers?

3) An error occured during the installation of the network setup on the 2nd PC and am stuck on what to do from there?

4) Would it easier to install Xp on the 98 PC to install the network better or would that cause problems?

Hope you can help.

boot-it-out 17:30 23 May 2005

Hi,

You can't just connect both computers together, you need a "Router" - there are different types available at reasonable cost, including "Wireless" ones.

You didn't say if you have a dial up modem connection or are on Broadband.

For example if you have a stand alone modem, as opposed to a modem installed in one of the computers, then you would connect the Modem to the Router.

Each PC will need a "Network Card" installed in it ( These are also available as Wireless if you are gong to get a wireless router ) and this is used to make the connection from the PC to the Router, and thus share the Internet connection.

There are also combined modem / routers available.

Once the Network is set up in this was you can go on to "Share" files between the two computers and / or Share a Printer attached to one of them.

This should get you on your way - to look at the types of Router and Network cards available have a browse around o eBuyer.com click here or Dabs. com click here

Good luck !

"Boot-It-Out" click here

wednesday 13 18:09 23 May 2005

I have a modem on both PCs and one both have 2 ports. would one of these be a built in router?

wednesday 13 18:15 23 May 2005

Is there a way to share the printer without a router?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?