Home Network Question...

BigMan24 22:50 07 Apr 2007

Hi folks,

I have a question (or two) on home networking. Firstly I'll give a bit of background...

I have two (sometimes a three) computers in my home. One desktop pc (running windows xp) and one iMac (running osx) the third is a laptop (again running xp). All three connect wirelessly to my network.

However, I want to know how I can protect my wireless network so that no one else can use it without my permission. (First question: Is this called "securing" my network?)

Can this be done with a cross platform set up (i.e. windows and mac)?

And, does anyone have any instructions, or know where to find any, which would give me a description of the process?

Thanks very much!

Have a good day!

C3 23:38 07 Apr 2007

I don't see why not.

You will need to switch on either WEP or WPA encryption on in the router settings. WPA is more secure.

Then go into the wireless settings on each PC and try to connect to the network. You should get some sort of option saying that the wireless requires a password to connect. Type in the password that you set in the Router settings and you should have a connection.

Once you have the connection sorted you could chose to turn off the SSID (Network Name) so that the network will be hidden from other people.

Also, don't forget to put a password on your Router settings access!

Another thing you can do is specify IP addresses to each PC (ie 192.168.1.2, 192.168.13 etc) then in the Router settings only allow connections from computers with the IP addresses you set. This will only cause a problem if you bring in a new PC to connect to the network as you'll need to adjust these settings to allow more IP addresses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone