Home network problems with internet connection

Ladson 08:52 07 Nov 2006

My family just got a new computer, (which is the one with the internet connection) so I had to set up the network again. Everything seemed fine at first, but when someone logs out from the family computer (regardless of wether anyone else is still logged in) mine can no longer access the internet untill I log back into any account on the family computer and disconnect and reconnect the internet.
So far my only resolution is telling everyone to go "Switch User' instead of log out but my family can be ignorent if it doesn't affect them, but atleast they don't turn to computer off on me...
Help would be greatly appreciated as it is highly annoying to be cut off in the middle of a download.

Strawballs 09:58 07 Nov 2006

I know this does not solve your imediate problem but have you thought of getting a router then it would not matter if the family PC was even switched on.

mgmcc 11:18 07 Nov 2006

If you install "TweakUI" from Microsoft's website click here it has an option to let you "Keep RAS connections after log off", which should resolve the problem.

Ladson 07:15 08 Nov 2006

Thanks guys.
First of all, I have dial-up. I assumed/heard that you can't use a router with dial-up (can't get adsl, issues over the line or some crap... and wireless/satellite arn't worth it) so I have no real good option out of that.
Second, I downloaded TweakUI as you said mgmcc and ticked the "Keep RAS connections after log off", but it has had no effect. I did it on both computers to be sure and restarted both after doing so.
Any more help would also be appreciated.

mgmcc 09:19 08 Nov 2006

In the "family" computer, which is the one with the "shared" internet connection, right click the dialup connection in the Network Connections folder, select Properties, then the Advanced tab. Ensure the box is ticked for "Allow other network users to control or disable the shared internet connection". You should then be able to get the Host PC to go onlinr from your Client PC.

Ladson 10:20 08 Nov 2006

I just had a look and that was already checked and so were the boxes with it.
I don't get full control of the connection from this computer either way, I can disconnect it but can't make it connect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?