Home Network Problems

Seadog 18:11 24 Jan 2003

I am having problems transferring files from my computer to my sons on our home network.
I have network cards in both machines and a Linksys 5 port workgroup hub. Games like Red Alert 2 work OK between both computers and if I connect my laptop to the hub, I can transfer files (copy then paste in windows explorer) from my computer to the laptop quickly and without problems. When I try to copy files to my sons computer, the process seems to be underway and then I get a message like “cannot create or copy file ********, the network connection is no longer available.”
I can “see” my son’s computer in network neighbourhood and I think I have the protocols the same – games work so has anyone any ideas. I ran the network cable under the floors to sockets (also under the floor – don’t ask it is a long story!) and then a cable from the sockets to the computers, could the system function as above if I got a couple of wires crossed?
Any ideas welcome but I don’t want to rip up fitted carpets and floors if I don’t have to!!!

Forum Editor 18:17 24 Jan 2003

you have the same workgroup name on both PCs?

Sometimes personal firewalls can create problems, and you might try turning them off when transferring files. My wife connected her computer to my office network a while back, and couldn't understand why she couldn't transfer files. Once we turned off her firewall it all worked like magic.

Seadog 18:24 24 Jan 2003

There aren't any firewalls installed on any of the computers. (should I have them?)

All computers have the same workgroup name, originally I used a network wizard created disc to configure all the computers, it said all was OK as well!!

billyliv 19:22 24 Jan 2003

Hi, If you do not instal a firewall and you are a regular internet user, sooner or later someone will find there way into your machine. I use Norton but Zone Alarm is reported to be good (and it is free). Cheers, Bill.

jazzypop 21:09 24 Jan 2003

Have you tried to ping each PC from each PC?

What version(s) of Windows are you running?

Seadog 23:44 24 Jan 2003

98SE on both desktop computers but Win ME on the laptop and what do you mean by PING........

Thanks chaps

jazzypop 23:55 24 Jan 2003

What is Ping....

Ping is a network testing tool, supplied as part of Windows. It sends out a packet of data to another PC, and waits for it to 'bounce back' - a bit like a submarine sending out a sonar signal. If the ping gets through, there is a channel from your PC to the other PC, and back again.

How to Ping...

click here , scroll down to the bottom of the page (TCP/IP). You will need to know the network address of the PC that you are trying to ping. The easiest way is to go to Start > Run and type

winipcfg

This will tell you the network address of the PC (something like 192.168.0.1).

You might also find it useful to check through the rest of the site mentioned above - start at click here

Seadog 09:18 25 Jan 2003

Thanks jazzypop, I'll try that as soon as possible - at the moment when I click on your link I'm getting a "this page cannot be displayed" notice, - the website must be down or whatever just now.

jazzypop 09:50 25 Jan 2003

Hmm - you're right, of course. Try this instead - click here

Seadog 10:07 25 Jan 2003

Thanks again jazzypop I'm off out now so have saved the page and will try it later today.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone