home network problem

Petesilver 20:37 26 Mar 2009

I have a desktop and a laptop on a wireless network the router is a Orange Livebox however
the desktop is fine it can connect to the laptop but although the desktop is shown on the laptop all I get is the usual I haven't got permission I just don't know which one is causing the problem
so can anyone give me a clue because it has worked
before but can't remember when it stopped as i don't use it to often but want to now.

windows xp home , avast AV, Zone alarm firewall on DT

Windows xp pro avast AV, windows firewall on LT

mgmcc 22:29 26 Mar 2009

The problem is possibly with the configuration of Zone Alarm in the Desktop, which is blocking access by the Laptop.

If you configured Zone Alarm with an IP address for the Laptop and the router subsequently allocated a different IP address to the Laptop, it would be unable to access shared folders/printers over the network.

Petesilver 15:46 27 Mar 2009

I have completely uninstalled Zone Alarm but the problem still remains....
I have internet connection ok on both and file sharing between DT & LT but not between the laptop and desktop I have checked my live box and that seems ok...so has anyone idea where to start looking ??

Petesilver 16:46 27 Mar 2009

PS I have just tried and the strange thing is the Printer which is shared by the laptop is working so it just seems its file sharing !!!!!

I am afraid it beats me it was all working ok a month ago

Petesilver 16:48 27 Mar 2009

PS I have just tried and the strange thing is the Printer which is shared by the laptop is working so it just seems its file sharing !!!!!

I am afraid it beats me it was all working ok a month ago

mgmcc 19:52 27 Mar 2009

Try "unsharing" the folders that you've been accessing over the network, reboot and then set up the sharing again.

Petesilver 16:30 28 Mar 2009

I have tried all that but its still the same everything works between the LT & DT except file sharing between laptop and desktop ????????

mgmcc 21:46 28 Mar 2009

In the Desktop PC, open a Command Prompt window and run IPCONFIG /ALL

What is shown as the "Node Type"?

Petesilver 15:18 29 Mar 2009

Hi mgmcc

The Node Type is shown as 'UNKNOWN'

mgmcc 15:54 29 Mar 2009

That's OK. There is a particular Node Type that causes a problem with networks, requiring the removal of an entry in the registry to return the Node to default setting, but 'unknown' is alright.

Out of interest, try this. In *EACH* computer, open the Network Connections folder, right click the adapter that connects to the router and select Properties. Click the "Install" button and, in the box that opens, select "Protocol" and click Add. From the list, select...

NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol

...and click OK. This will then appear in the list for all network adapters ("wired" and "wireless") but make sure it is ticked in the adapters that you're connecting to your network with.

IPX/SPX doesn't require configuring like TCP/IP and it isn't affected by firewalls (which operate on TCP/IP traffic), so see if that lets you access files over the network.

Petesilver 17:27 29 Mar 2009

Well i have done all that but its still the same....
The desktop works ok as before
but the laptop will still not connect

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?