Home network problem, 2nd has problems logging on

algey 19:44 20 Jul 2009

I have a home network of two computers the main one (desktop,) has no problems connecting to the internet (I have a Bt Homehub)
The second (laptop,)while it will connect sometimes, more often than not will give the message 'There might be a problem with one or more network adaptors on this computer'.
The adaptors are inbuilt.

Does anyone know what I can do to rectify the problem ?

Thanks

brundle 19:50 20 Jul 2009

click here

Do the ipconfig steps detailed. If the DHCP Enabled line says No, you have the same issue and need to follow the instructions to rectify it. If the DHCP line says Yes, then something else may be up.
Which devices are wired, and which wireless?

Strawballs 22:28 20 Jul 2009

IF the laptop is wireless check that the wireless has not been accidently switched off.

algey 19:45 21 Jul 2009

brundle

Thanks for the information, but couldn't see any instruction re. the ipconfig settings.
The desktop(XP) is wired and the laptop(Vista) wireless.

Strawballs

No not switched off, as some of the time it works OK. Thanks anyway.

brundle 20:25 21 Jul 2009

Configure DHCP for Windows Vista.

1. Click on the Start menu, and select Control Panel.
2. Click on Network and Internet. (Skip this step if you do not see this Control Panel item.)
3. Click on Network and Sharing Center.
4. Click on Manage network connections.
5. Right click on Local Area Connection and choose Properties. If Windows say it needs your permission to continue, click Continue.
6. Select Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4) and click Properties.
7. Select Obtain an IP address automatically.
8. Select Obtain DNS server address automatically.
9. Click OK to close the TCP/IP Properties window.
10. Click OK to close the Local Area Connection Properties window.
11. Click Close to close the Network Connections window.
12. Click Close to close the Control Panel window.
13. Restart your computer.

brundle 20:29 21 Jul 2009

Though if it's intermittent it sounds more like a wifi signal issue. Try changing the wifi channel on your Homehub using the desktop. Try 1, 6 and 13 - no need to try any others. See "Can't Connect Via Hub" click here

algey 19:22 22 Jul 2009

brundle

Tried changing the channels first(tried 1 and 6,as the HomeHub only has 11)but it didn't seem to improve things.

Have just followed your instructions to configure the DHCP on the laptop(the Internet protcol listed was Microsoft)restarted and the it connected first time. I'm hoping this isn't a false dawn, and that everything will be OK tomorrow.
Thanks very much for your help.

algey 22:15 25 Jul 2009

brundle

Just bumping this thread on to let you know that following your advice to configure DCCP for Vista has been 100% successful.

Many Thanks

brundle 12:05 27 Jul 2009

Thanks for the feedback, glad your problem's solved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?